• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Da-35

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Anybody running anything other than a JTec Pitts on the DA-35? I've seen video's of piped planes, and like the noise reduction. But it seems like everyone is going with the JTec Pitts... My DLE35RA is pretty loud with the stock muffler. I'm guessing that is because it just spits the exhaust out the cylinder and strait down and out. Maybe since the JTec design makes the exhaust wrap around, collect in a baby canister and then spit out the bottom will make it quite enough?

Very interested as well as I just started a build and have the motor and am holding off on the exhaust. Leaning towards an ES composite pipe but, really cringing at the cost.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I had the ES Composite pipe on my 83" MXS, but I cut the header to the recommend length that ES told me and it seemed to be real peaky right around the hover throttle settings. I know Jase Dussia has one on his but they didn't cut the header and it seems to work better. All my other three DA-35'S have Jtec pitts.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I had the ES Composite pipe on my 83" MXS, but I cut the header to the recommend length that ES told me and it seemed to be real peaky right around the hover throttle settings. I know Jase Dussia has one on his but they didn't cut the header and it seems to work better. All my other three DA-35'S have Jtec pitts.

vegasking: Since you have both... what is the noise reduction in comparison, and any noticeable performance loss/gain between the two?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Very interested as well as I just started a build and have the motor and am holding off on the exhaust. Leaning towards an ES composite pipe but, really cringing at the cost.

I concur. have to buy the header & pipe for no less than $250, vs the Jtec Pitts for $70.... I haven't heard of anyone using a Plane Blender 3D canister either. From what I have read, people would rather save weight and stick with the Pitts Muff. The ES pipe is light, but once you add the header, supports, and couplings its not that much lighter I'd think.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
the pipe definitely added power overall, but it is stated when you get them not to run it full throttle very long as it is a made of composite materials and glue. Mine leaked a bit after only a few flights, but if you know me at all I fly a lot of WOT, and I sealed it with thin CA. Unless you plan on running it on a plane that is like the 83" MXS that is a plane that is in between a 35-40cc and 50cc plane I would just use a pitts. Noise was better on the pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good to hear. I've heard issues with the Pitts from warping from over tightening, however I can get 3.5 Pitts or one pipe, and noise isn't a huge issue for where I fly. If the differences were much more obvious, or benefits I guess then the pipe would be more appealing. I also understand that with a pipe, the header length depends on the prop as well. I kind of like the plug and play of the Pitts myself but not ready to buy yet, just starting my build.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Yup Good info!! It seems more user friendly and economical to just go with the Jtec Pitts Muffler. At my field I tend to get bird watchers trickling through.... So I hate to be that guy. I also don't want to cough up the extra dough. Complicated, Noise Reduction, & Performance vs Simplicity & save a lot of $$$.....decisions should be fun right?!?!?:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup Good info!! It seems more user friendly and economical to just go with the Jtec Pitts Muffler. At my field I tend to get bird watchers trickling through.... So I hate to be that guy. I also don't want to cough up the extra dough. Complicated, Noise Reduction, & Performance vs Simplicity & save a lot of $$$.....decisions should be fun right?!?!?:banghead:
I agree, I'm interested to see what you go with as well. I am completely on par with your thoughts. Funny enough we have bird watchers nearby as well, and I really hate being that guy. In fact I really only do WOT flying when I'm tuning up my motors. I really just want decent hover pullout power.

I have run both. Sold the Pitts. We do have the noise issue and since all of our planes are now quiet, we all get annoyed with someone running a straight muffler.

I cut my header and have not noticed any peak issues like I had on my RE2 setups. Also don't have a ton of time on the setup.

Luckily it something you can change later. You do have to cut up the cowl a bit for the Pitts and the pipe is a cleaner install.

If you want a Proflow, I have a small I can sell that was used with a Mintor 38. The pipe is much lighter and actually adds power, where the Proflow is just a bit of noise suppression.