• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Carbon Build Up

Jedijody

50cc
Ohio AV8TOR;15022 wrote: So why is an IR gun useless? Because you can't hit the back of the cylinder?

For all the reasons stated below your post. The only time an IR gun can be accurately used is when bench or ground running if the area shot for the reading is flat black or otherwise nonreflective. You can take temp readings of various engine locations, just use a Sharpie to mark the places you want to read. But that's still no help in knowing in flight temps.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Jedijody;15044 wrote: For all the reasons stated below your post. The only time an IR gun can be accurately used is when bench or ground running if the area shot for the reading is flat black or otherwise nonreflective. You can take temp readings of various engine locations, just use a Sharpie to mark the places you want to read. But that's still no help in knowing in flight temps.

Thanks Jody, after posting that I thought about it and overlooked the inflight part. To bad Venum has discontinued there unit and so far I have not found another option. One other question please is what location on the head are you shooting for - on the fin itself or closer to the cylinder wall and closer to the top of the head or lower closer to the crankcase?

Thanks

O

Ohio AV8TOR

I don't know what these weigh but I use a much higher end controller for my smoker than this but would something like this work? The do track min/max temp but this prob is for sticking in meat and looks challenging to mount for our needs.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

I had an old prob for the meat temperature and here is a simple mounting solution but is this an acceptable location? It goes through the screw access holes in the fins.

attachment.php

15127=8711-prob.jpg
15127=8711-prob.jpg

Flyncaps

New to GSN!
Ohio AV8TOR;15126 wrote: How do you attach that spark plug ring to your motor, please share a picture id you can.
I had to grind off a very small piece of the center fin for clearance. It shouldn't affect anything. I will try to attach a photo.
15133=8712-Photo1366.jpg
15133=8712-Photo1366.jpg

Jedijody

50cc
Ohio AV8TOR;15119 wrote: Thanks Jody, after posting that I thought about it and overlooked the inflight part. To bad Venum has discontinued there unit and so far I have not found another option. One other question please is what location on the head are you shooting for - on the fin itself or closer to the cylinder wall and closer to the top of the head or lower closer to the crankcase?

Thanks

If I use an IR gun I shoot it right behind the spark plug on the combustion chamber dome, not a fin. But it is interesting to shoot different locations to see different temps, pistons and cylinders aren't the only temperature sensitive components in an engine. Some other components have a much lower temperature threshold for thermal damage.

Ohio AV8TOR;15127 wrote: I had an old prob for the meat temperature and here is a simple mounting solution but is this an acceptable location? It goes through the screw access holes in the fins.

A resourceful idea! Better than nothing but not ideal.

Flyncaps;15125 wrote: I have been using these for monitoring temps. Jody if you read this I would like your opinion on it. It seems to work as well or better than the Venom monitors and is not to pricey. http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto/temperature/722-et1

These and their mounting are perfect. My only complaint on the Venom units was they're mounting of the TC. The ideal location is the ring under the spark plug and customizing a bit of fin hurts nothing. I had no idea these existed, I'm going to pick a couple up before they're discontinued! Great find, Flyncaps and thanks for the link.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Thanks Jody and Flyncaps. I sure wish the TrailTech had a 1/4 plug solution