• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Carbon Build Up

Jedijody

50cc
Ohio AV8TOR;14756 wrote: Thanks [MENTION=163]ChickenBalls[/MENTION] not sure either. I did not see this at Tower but searching I found a Venum Temp logger, I wonder if [MENTION=233]Jedijody[/MENTION] meant something like this.

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Venom_Micro_Temp_Monitor_p/vnel-104.htm

That's the one. Venom, Traxxas, and MIP were the main suppliers of these temp loggers. Did some searching to provide a link but found that most all vendors have discontinued them. I think the advent of inexpensive telemetry systems combined with radios have decreased the demand to the point it's no longer worth carrying them for most. I guess I'll be taking good care of mine from now on.

The thermo couple would be mounted between the top two fins, right against the cylinder wall, on the back side of the cylinder out of the propwash.

Jedijody;14888 wrote: That's the one. Venom, Traxxas, and MIP were the main suppliers of these temp loggers. Did some searching to provide a link but found that most all vendors have discontinued them. I think the advent of inexpensive telemetry systems combined with radios have decreased the demand to the point it's no longer worth carrying them for most. I guess I'll be taking good care of mine from now on.

The thermo couple would be mounted between the top two fins, right against the cylinder wall, on the back side of the cylinder out of the propwash.

thank you, again, the information you provide is excellent and confirms my suspicion and observations on many experiments i have made with onboard telemetry.

interesting data on temps, while you are flying, any uplines, knife edge flight, hovering, somersaults, knife edge spins, etc…. really increase the temperature of the airplane, and the prop loads the motor more.

level flight at less than full throttle will lower the temp down when it peaks.

all of these flying temps are higher, lets say, than when you make your approach to land, and cut the power down, while it is still in the air flying, the temps will come down quite a bit, and once you get on the ground and taxi back, temp is at its lowest, if you do not throttle up.

this i have obtained from looking at temperatures using the Jeti system.

this tells me the technique of using an IR gun is totally waste of time. it does not give any useful information.

again, Mr. Jedi, i cannot thank you enough for your posts as this confirms my findings!! best regards,

Cam

Jedijody

50cc
Your findings are accurate and align with my experience. The temp loggers are a little bit of a pain to monitor but can provide very useful information. If one doesn't mind frequent landings you can determine which specific maneuvers create the most heat, which ones provide cooling, and the approximate speed and range at which temps rise and fall. Once a new aircraft and its engine temp profile is patterned, changes/improvements to the cooling system made, I take the loggers off knowing all I need to know to keep the engine in the temp range I want it to run at.

Jedijody;14929 wrote: Your findings are accurate and align with my experience. The temp loggers are a little bit of a pain to monitor but can provide very useful information. If one doesn't mind frequent landings you can determine which specific maneuvers create the most heat, which ones provide cooling, and the approximate speed and range at which temps rise and fall. Once a new aircraft and its engine temp profile is patterned, changes/improvements to the cooling system made, I take the loggers off knowing all I need to know to keep the engine in the temp range I want it to run at.

Jedi,

i agree with you.

some people harp on telemetry stating it is useless.

i see it in a different way. Just as you mentioned.

i was having a hard time with a motor, and once i figured out temps were way high, i started to work on cooling this baby down. then, although i knew about 3 to 1 ratio, it never really dawned to me, that more important of the air going in, is how to get it out!!

once i have started putting these things on my airplanes, it has made a huge difference to bringing temps down...

14975=8668-IMG_5491.jpg
14975=8668-IMG_5491.jpg
14975=8669-IMG_5680.jpg
14975=8669-IMG_5680.jpg
14975=8667-IMG_5989.jpg
14975=8667-IMG_5989.jpg
14975=8666-IMG_6053.jpg
14975=8666-IMG_6053.jpg

tailskid

70cc twin V2
I wonder where one could get 'something' like the Venom Micro Temp Monitor, 0601/2. Any suggestions?

O

Ohio AV8TOR

So why is an IR gun useless? Because you can't hit the back of the cylinder?

Bdegan

50cc
They grey of the cylinder heads has some reflective properties. An IR gun wont read an accurate Temp.

You would need to paint a spot flat black to get an accurate read.

Ohio AV8TOR;15022 wrote: So why is an IR gun useless? Because you can't hit the back of the cylinder?

it will not give you a true representation of the engine temps. what you want to know is what the temp is doing during flight. this will give you info on the cooling and loading of your engine. once it lands, the engine will be cooler than during flight, let's say, if you do an upline. also, the IR gun, if the cowl is on, when you aim at the motor, what are you aiming at? the front of the cylinder, more than likely, i am guessing. well, i used to do that, and see temps of 180F, and i thought i was doing great. but it was not giving me an accurate idea of real world numbers. i guess, if you land, and the temp is 290, then i guess you can assume that during flight temps got up to 380 or 400? i do not know. but do not assume when you land if your temp was 290 in the front of the cylinder, that this is the peak temp during flight. that is my .02 cents.