• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

BlueBird HB 50B servos

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@49dimes can you explane please the signal voltage. How is it checked. Is it across the signal wire and the ground wire to the servo. And what should it be. Thanks. Does it change as the radio input is changed to the servo. ?

Yes you can check it between the common and signal pins of the servo channel port of the receiver. Make sure you have a fresh battery of 6 volts or better. Voltage will drop/change slightly (10%or less) by the number of servos you have plugged in. Voltage may increase or decrease on individual channels when actually manipulating the sticks but the change is so small it will show as unstable or fluctuating on a digital meter.
If you want to really check the signal response you will need an oscilloscope.

The signal voltage can be different from other manufacturers and even different with the same manufacturer but different model receivers. Most manufacturers try and keep this voltage around 4 or 5 volts for compatibility reasons.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Speaking of compatibility..........

Finally got the 330sc to the field today after some needed shop time. During pre flight I saw the left (channel 1) aileron servo start freaking out all on its own. And to add to the enigma the rudder servo would only work intermittently :concern:.
Went over the extensions and connections and found weak pin and sockets for channel extensions. When I forcibly held the connector to its plug the aileron stopped freaking out. Noticed that the motion of travel was a bit "shaky" as I cycled the control surfaces. Felt the bottom of the rudder servo and it was getting hot.

I believe my problems lie in......1) Servo extensions have lost their grip on the pins.
2) The R6014HS receiver is 2048 resolution not 4096 like the servos.

Why the hell this did not happen in the shop and waited to show me on the flight line is beyond me other than thinking the hot weather has something to do with ito_O.

What I am going to do is put my Turnigy i10 in this plane. With the i10 you can set servo frequency to better match the 4096 resolution. I know the Futaba 14SG is capable of 4096 but the 6014 receivers are not and the i10 receiver is.

Will follow up once I get the radio swapped.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes extensions are the death of more planes than anything else I belive. I have had my share of plug problems now I only use one extension a 6 from the reciever to the servo. Cut the plug of the servo and extend wire to with in 6 inches of the receiver.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just an update. Had the right elevator servo start acting up. It got HOT! So hot the servo arm sticking out of the stab burned me! No binding or any thing like that. It just went and started cooking supper:ugh!:. Now 2 of 6 going back to Blue Bird. The remaining 4 seem to be just fine :cautious:. I just don't trust any of them so out they come until I know what is going on. Really hoping to get some air time with them but now really hoping they are going to turn out OK. Never had a problem with any other Blue Bird servo I ever owned and I have had a bunch of em. Damn Karma! lol

Speaking of compatibility..........

Finally got the 330sc to the field today after some needed shop time. During pre flight I saw the left (channel 1) aileron servo start freaking out all on its own. And to add to the enigma the rudder servo would only work intermittently :concern:.
Went over the extensions and connections and found weak pin and sockets for channel extensions. When I forcibly held the connector to its plug the aileron stopped freaking out. Noticed that the motion of travel was a bit "shaky" as I cycled the control surfaces. Felt the bottom of the rudder servo and it was getting hot.

I believe my problems lie in......1) Servo extensions have lost their grip on the pins.
2) The R6014HS receiver is 2048 resolution not 4096 like the servos.

Why the hell this did not happen in the shop and waited to show me on the flight line is beyond me other than thinking the hot weather has something to do with ito_O.

What I am going to do is put my Turnigy i10 in this plane. With the i10 you can set servo frequency to better match the 4096 resolution. I know the Futaba 14SG is capable of 4096 but the 6014 receivers are not and the i10 receiver is.

Will follow up once I get the radio swapped.
So you trust your i10 with your giants? I may try my FlySky with my plane to see if I get better results. Wonder what the resolution is with my Graupner receivers. Time to dig up info!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So you trust your i10 with your giants? I may try my FlySky with my plane to see if I get better results. Wonder what the resolution is with my Graupner receivers. Time to dig up info!

Very much so trust the i10. It's the H50B's that have me grounded with concern :concern:. Been playing with the programming on the i10 and am getting it to do some nice wing configurations such as spoiler mix to aileron. You have to be intuitive on what exactly your looking to do with the radio. Different icons appear on the menu when selecting or modifying the basic wing configuration on the airplane in the display. It's all there! You can pretty much do any thing.