• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fellas,

I think tomorrow afternoon's task will be to make up my throttle and choke linkages for the Yak and program the servos. I don't think I'm going to get my prop hub anyway. Then finally, the last thing will be to patch the last large hole in the side of the fuse. If everything goes right, it should be ready to go next weekend, but only time will tell.

I need to do a little work on my Brio tomorrow too, so I can have something to fly this weekend. The DZ170 in that plane is a BEAST of an engine. Should be fun to tear up the skies with.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

A week ago yesterday, I thought I had ordered the last piece I needed to finish my Yak. I went onto the Tru Turn web site and ordered the same prop hub and backplate my Buddy and I used to balance my Yak. At least that is what I thought until the box came today and I found this inside.

Yak 88.jpg

As it turned out somebody who shall remain nameless, ordered the correct hub, but ordered the wrong back plate. . . . . . .:face-palm:. I ordered the "B" style back plate instead of the "A" style. The difference is the "A" style is a full 3/4" larger in diameter and considerably thicker than the "B" style. The key is the difference in weight. The plane balanced so well a week ago Sunday that I just called Tru Turn this afternoon and I have the correct back plate on its way here.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good evening Gents.

Have any of you ever ordered something, then life gets in the way and you totally forget about it until the box shows up? Well. that's what happened to me. I ordered these about 8 weeks ago and they were delivered on Tuesday.

Yak 89.jpg

It's an oddly shaped box, but I immediately remembered what was inside as soon as I saw it. Inside the box were these. . . . .

Yak 90.jpg

Yep I got my wing bags for my Yak. Now I won't have to take them to the field inside a couple of kids sleeping bags. As it turns out, I incorrectly assumed Caroline quit selling wing bags when her hubby quit selling kits. They are a little on the pricey side, but the quality is excellent. Caroline sells a pretty good selection of different wing bags. I also picked up a set for my H9 260. Caroline told me there was going to be a 6-8 week wait for the bags, but I told her it was no problem since my plane was not finished at that time, Another thing that was nice was she didn't charge my account until the day she sent them to me.

I've also got a little update on my Yak. I got the electronic kill switch and the throttle & choke linkage made up I installed and the servo's programmed in my radio. Last Sunday was the first time I have actually ran the red headed beast when it is installed in the airplane. I also got a temporary patch made for the hole in the fuse. All I have left to do is tighten the pull-pull cables on the rudder & set dual rates for the rudder and triple rates for the elevators. I should easily be able to get this done either tomorrow or Saturday morning. I really wanted to fly the Yak on Sunday but I think @AKNick sent some of his weather luck my way. There's a 100% chance of rain on Sunday here so that will definitely keep me home. . . . :cryin:. But that's OK I've drug my fat arse on finishing this thing, so what's one more week? . . . . :laughing:. With any luck, my next post in this thread will be after a successful maiden. My flying Buddy may show up on Saturday with his camera so I might have some in-flight pictures of my Yak to show. . . . . . :yesss:.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good Evening Gents,

Back in February I started this thread and as usual for me things went kind of slowly. On a Saturday in early March, I went to NC and came home with this. . . .
Yak 1.jpg

As the weeks and months passed, my Yak started to take shape. Sure there were speed bumps along the way, but whenever I had a question, I knew I could turn to my friends here to get the help I needed. . . . . :yesss:. In the last few weeks, things have really started to come together and I started to see a light at the end of the tunnel and not have to worry about whether or not, it was a train heading right at me. . . . :laughing:. I haven't updated my thread much lately because my spare time has been limited and I wanted to give you Fella's this update. A couple of weeks I was working on radio & servo setups and somehow, I managed to kill both of my receiver packs. What happened was that I didn't push the pin all the way back in so it never shut off the receiver and I didn't realize it until a week later. So, after another visit to the Duraflite website, I had them send me another pair of batteries. I didn't order the same 2500mAh LiFe batteries I ordered the first time. Instead, I ordered a pair of 3500mAh LiIon packs. The difference in size & weight were surprising. Look at the next two pictures. . .
Yak 83.jpg

20191103_130454.jpg

I did have one last obstacle to overcome. When I took the plane to the field last Sunday to run the engine some more, I noticed the tank was leaking fuel around the cap. I assume the o-ring under the lid went bad and since I could not find the proper replacement o-ring, I went ahead and just replaced the tank with a 28oz Dubro. . . . .
20191103_134346.jpg

I'm not going to tell you how long it took me to plumb the new tank because it would be embarrassing. . . . . . :laughing:. Anyway, the fuel tank was the last thing I had to do, so I can finally proclaim, the Yak is officially FINISHED. . . :dancing-chicken:.

So, this will be my last assembly update post in this thread. I'd like to close the thread by thanking each and every one of you gentlemen for helping me along the way. I don't want to list names, because I would surely miss someone. I couldn't have done it without you guys and it was a blast having you all along for the ride. . . . . :big_yes:.

If the weather cooperates next Sunday, hopefully you guys will find me in the "I'm going flying thread" posting a picture that looks allot like this. . .
20191018_132448.jpg

On to the next adventure. Take care Fellas.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Good Evening Gents,

Back in February I started this thread and as usual for me things went kind of slowly. On a Saturday in early March, I went to NC and came home with this. . . .
View attachment 112123

As the weeks and months passed, my Yak started to take shape. Sure there were speed bumps along the way, but whenever I had a question, I knew I could turn to my friends here to get the help I needed. . . . . :yesss:. In the last few weeks, things have really started to come together and I started to see a light at the end of the tunnel and not have to worry about whether or not, it was a train heading right at me. . . . :laughing:. I haven't updated my thread much lately because my spare time has been limited and I wanted to give you Fella's this update. A couple of weeks I was working on radio & servo setups and somehow, I managed to kill both of my receiver packs. What happened was that I didn't push the pin all the way back in so it never shut off the receiver and I didn't realize it until a week later. So, after another visit to the Duraflite website, I had them send me another pair of batteries. I didn't order the same 2500mAh LiFe batteries I ordered the first time. Instead, I ordered a pair of 3500mAh LiIon packs. The difference in size & weight were surprising. Look at the next two pictures. . .
View attachment 112124

View attachment 112127

I did have one last obstacle to overcome. When I took the plane to the field last Sunday to run the engine some more, I noticed the tank was leaking fuel around the cap. I assume the o-ring under the lid went bad and since I could not find the proper replacement o-ring, I went ahead and just replaced the tank with a 28oz Dubro. . . . .
View attachment 112129
I'm not going to tell you how long it took me to plumb the new tank because it would be embarrassing. . . . . . :laughing:. Anyway, the fuel tank was the last thing I had to do, so I can finally proclaim, the Yak is officially FINISHED. . . :dancing-chicken:.

So, this will be my last assembly update post in this thread. I'd like to close the thread by thanking each and every one of you gentlemen for helping me along the way. I don't want to list names, because I would surely miss someone. I couldn't have done it without you guys and it was a blast having you all along for the ride. . . . . :big_yes:.

If the weather cooperates next Sunday, hopefully you guys will find me in the "I'm going flying thread" posting a picture that looks allot like this. . .
View attachment 112130

Could you show me picture of the rudder how it fits in the front, if you can thanks.

WMcNabb

150cc
Good Evening Gents,

View attachment 112123

View attachment 112124

View attachment 112127

View attachment 112129

View attachment 112130

Congratulations David!! Excellent news!
Plane looks really sharp, can’t wait to read the flight report.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Could you show me picture of the rudder how it fits in the front, if you can thanks.
Hey @Snoopy1,

The front passenger seat in my Durango fold forward so the back is flat. With the cowl and prop on the front of the plane, the tail wheel sits about 1/2 way up the back. I'll post a picture when I load it up to go flying on Sunday.

Thanks for the kind word Fella's

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey @Snoopy1,

The front passenger seat in my Durango fold forward so the back is flat. With the cowl and prop on the front of the plane, the tail wheel sits about 1/2 way up the back. I'll post a picture when I load it up to go flying on Sunday.

Thanks for the kind word Fella's

Thanks I am in market for a new car so I am looking, have a minivan right now but would like get something else.