• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bavarian Demon Cortex

dougb

50cc
Do you have to mount the Cortex so you can see the lights or is there a cable to see if it initialized properly?

How do you adjust the gains?

Cortex will wiggle the surfaces when it is happy although I double check the LED. You could just pick up the tail and move it. You'll see the Cortex compensate for yaw or pitch.

Gain channel on a 3 position switch. Using servo travel as an example: travel value below neutral = gain 1 (low), neutral = off, travel value above neutral = gain 2 (high). I might have the gain numbers backwards, my Tx is downstairs. The more travel below or above neutral, the greater the gain. Very similar to a heli tail gyro (rate gain vs HH mode gain).

Pretty much the reason I have a Cortex - deal with cross wind days. Reduces pilot load and saves SFG's from asphalt burns. :D A side benefit, it smooths out flying in turbulent conditions.

Clear as mud? :confused:

Doug B.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I should qualify my remarks on the Eagle Tree. I use the Cortex for the overall flying performance. The beauty of the Cortex is it makes a small plane fly like a much bigger plane. Since you are looking at putting one in an 50cc plane I'm sort of doubting if you really need it once you are in the air. You specifically talked about cross winds, that's why I thought of the wings level feature.

Regarding the light, I honestly never look at it. I just have the on/off on a switch with a voice alert "gyro on", "gyro off". As Doug said, if in doubt I just move the tail and watch to see if the rudder moves.

dougb

50cc
I should mention that I'm using the Cortex in a EF 48" Edge. My goals were twofold: fly no mater what the wind was doing and get a bigger plane feel in a thrifty, no fear airframe.

Doug B.

Doug,

I am considering putting one in my EF 48 Extra. What would you compare the feel of the plane to size wise in the air with the cortex?

Also, what kind of gain settings are you using to achieve that, and do you "feel" the gyro working at all in such a small plane?

Thanks!

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Doug,

I am considering putting one in my EF 48 Extra. What would you compare the feel of the plane to size wise in the air with the cortex?

Also, what kind of gain settings are you using to achieve that, and do you "feel" the gyro working at all in such a small plane?

Thanks!

I run the Cortex in my 46, 51, 57, 60 and 71 sized planes. The beauty of the Cortex is it's completely transparent, you don't know its working unless you turn it off, in other words it does not interfere with any style of flying you do. The 51 Slick flies like a plane in the 70 inch range or bigger, the little 46 flies like a 60 size or larger. The gains are set in the transmitter using the travel adjust, you just start with the gain about 18-20 and then increase it until you see the plane oscillate in one of the axises, and then back off a click or two, that's it. You can use the software to fine tune it but I have not found it to be necessary.

And BTW since the gains are stored in the transmitter its a simple process to move one sensor unit between multiple planes. The only plane of mine with a permanent Cortex is the 71, the other share a single unit.

I think my favorite thing about the Cortex is the ability to dramatically reduce the Expo. It seems to give you a very one-to-one feel, like your are more connected to the model.

If you run the Cortex in larger planes (over 7x size) there are power issues that need to be worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
The Cortex can be tailored in numerous ways to fit your needs. Individual axis gains can be set via computer program (VERY simple). Overall gain can be set via an AUX channel on your TX. Individual axis stabilization can also be tailored to "let go" more or "let Go" less of stabilizing as the stick is moved away from center (Stick Priority). Also, there is a "Latching" feature which allows you to adjust how quickly the stabilization "Grabs" back control after the sticks are relaxed back to center.

It can be set up on a three way switch to allow for an "Off", "Medium Gain", or a "High Gain". It makes landing in stiff winds or gusty winds a "breeze". If you are flying in winds as high as 15 to 20 MPH on a regular base, you may really enjoy what the Cortex can do for your flying enjoyment. Unlike the other gyros mentioned, the Cortex is extremely transparent. You only know it is on by turning it off. It does not fight the pilot AT ALL!

You do need to mount it in such a way that you can see the light IF you want to see the light. But that is really unnecessary. As the Cortex binds and powers up, it causes all the control surfaces to "Twitch" in a very obvious way. If you do not see the twitch you are not bound. You can also test the gyro by moving your plane. If gyro is on, the control surfaces will move in opposite direction as you move the plane around with your hand.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

dougb

50cc
Doug,

Thanks!

[MENTION=2393]YellowJacketsRC[/MENTION] knows his stuff on the Cortex. I used his posts to guide my setup. As far as numbers, start with stock and go from there. Like a heli flight controller, gain depends on aircraft size, flight style and servos.

I'd say it almost doubles the size of the airplane, maybe 1.5x. I flew my 48" one day when the wind would blow the plane down the runway backwards unless I kept some throttle on to "park" the plane. :eek:

You sort of feel it / see it. Depends on stick priority setting and gain. That's the beauty of the Cortex - dial in the feeling you want for a given aircraft.

Doug B.

Dave306

New to GSN!
The Cortex is Fantastic

I really love the Cortex. I installed mine into a 60" Extreme Flight Edge two months ago and it harriers and hovers better than the 88" EF Edge and Aeroworks 86" 50cc Yak at my field. I use the rate mode only and don't try to flip switches to hold mode in a hover.

I just purchased a second one today to rotate around my other planes. Are the expensive? YES. Are they worth it? Definitely YES. If I were the marketing guy for bavarian demon, I would be calculating how many more of these I might sell at $200 or $250 and whether my total profit dollars would go up.

I think everyone will use some sort of gyro in the future. Maybe they will be integrated into the receivers at some point. If you can swing the cost, this one will not disappoint.

Disclaimer: I am not paid or sponsored by bavarian demon but I think the cortex is fantastic. I am not a real doctor but just play one on television...