• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bavarian Demon Cortex

gyro

GSN Contributor
About to try the Cortex for the first time tomorrow morning! Installed in a Pilot RC 73" Yak 54 running on 10S. Radio is a Futaba 14SG. I thought I would go stock standard install and have it on a 3 pos switch with Norm/Off/Hold. Need to study up a bit more on what does what via the software, but for now keep it simple. Fisrt time with gyro so see how we go :)
If all goes well I will try it on on my 35% 100cc Comp ARF Extra 300.

Awesome! Good luck!
Remember to take off with the gains low, and then them up as needed

Royster

New to GSN!
Awesome! Good luck!
Remember to take off with the gains low, and then them up as needed

Wow what a difference it makes! First flight wasnt good as I had the gain too high but worked out that the end points controlled the gain. I have slowly been lowering the expo on the radio as well. I have the gains set at 20% for normal and 40% for hold. Some hate the hold but I suck at torque rolls so it helps take the scare factor out when the belly comes round during a hover. Havent tried it on my 100cc gasser yet but most certainly will in the near future. I dont have any spare thin pads but I hear others are having success with a 3M clear tape?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Wow what a difference it makes! First flight wasnt good as I had the gain too high but worked out that the end points controlled the gain. I have slowly been lowering the expo on the radio as well. I have the gains set at 20% for normal and 40% for hold. Some hate the hold but I suck at torque rolls so it helps take the scare factor out when the belly comes round during a hover. Havent tried it on my 100cc gasser yet but most certainly will in the near future. I dont have any spare thin pads but I hear others are having success with a 3M clear tape?

I'm using some 3M double sided foam tape. Works great!

Glad you're enjoying the Cortex!

dribar

70cc twin V2
Flew on my EF 48" edge for the first time yesterday straight out of the box with no adjustments. Hold mode went great but normal mode sent the plane into a hippie-hippie-shake. I hadn't reduced the gain from 100/100 so the cortex was having fun. I adjusted it down.... and then down.... and all is better. I didn't get as low as 20/40 (I read in an earlier post) but will try that next.

I will say that with a 15kt cross wind and hold mode, the Edge just sat there and looked at me. Pretty sweet.

Peace

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Flew on my EF 48" edge for the first time yesterday straight out of the box with no adjustments. Hold mode went great but normal mode sent the plane into a hippie-hippie-shake. I hadn't reduced the gain from 100/100 so the cortex was having fun. I adjusted it down.... and then down.... and all is better. I didn't get as low as 20/40 (I read in an earlier post) but will try that next.

I will say that with a 15kt cross wind and hold mode, the Edge just sat there and looked at me. Pretty sweet.

Peace

All my 48-60 size planes are in the 18-22 range for normal mode gains, I do not use hold mode, it just disabled it. My 71 inch uses a significantly higher gain setting.

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Switch the hold mode to normal mode (Using the computer). Then put the cortex on a 3 way switch. 1 position for off, one for low rates, and one for high rates.

I'm considering getting a Cortex for my 89" Slick to help with the winds we have here. I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to in this thread pertaining to set up.

Do you have to mount the Cortex so you can see the lights or is there a cable to see if it initialized properly?

How do you adjust the gains?

I'm still doing research and I just haven't found the answers yet but I was just curious.

I'm mostly interested to be able to stabilize the Slick when landing with a severe crosswind. The winds here a terrible and I've been using an AR635 in my 48" EF Yak 54 and it's a night and day difference in windy conditions. I hate to say this because I feel some might see me bashing 3DHS, but the 89" Slick REALLY does not like crosswinds or at least the conditions we have here. It's pretty typical to have winds 15-20 mph on a good day. If I waited for the winds to be less, I'd have about 8 weekends out of the year to fly, if even that.

Pic of the 48" EF Yak from last weekend.

file.php

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I'm considering getting a Cortex for my 89" Slick to help with the winds we have here. I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to in this thread pertaining to set up.

file.php

Maybe just an Eagle Tree Guardian, use the wings-level feature for landing in the cross winds, turn it off after take-offs and landings. The Cortex does not have that feature.