• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

Joe Hunt

150cc
C ratings on even the less expensive LiPo's today are 20c or better. No need for additional capacitors even on a 40center. I see the device as nothing more than additional drain on the battery thus less flight time. I know some LiFe packs out their are still 10c and I would be leary about using them on a big plane with a lot of digital servos even with the device. JMO.

I'm not certain about this stuff right now. My OCD is in a tailspin. haha Point one, LiPos seem to be badass with their quick charge and discharge ability. LiPos have a high sustained throughput rating. Downside to LiPos is they've always made me nervous, just check out the videos of them exploding on Youtube. Other side of that point is that most of us get along fine with LiPo safety by being marginally conscientious. Although I did have one foamie pack that swelled up to double its size and I hit it with a long demo bar to see what would happened. It blew up in a ball of seriously hot flames. Point two, when I put even a 1 to 1-1/2 amp load on my LiPos the voltage goes down a lot. I need to setup a tester that can bang my LiPos with 30-40 amps to see if they really can sustain those kinds of amp draws without their voltage dropping down in the unsafe zone. But, the real point I've been wondering about is LiPo vs Lith-ion. Lith-ion does not have the ratings or the architecture that LiPos have. But, Fromeco claims they can handle upwards of 25amps per pack (so a 50amp load with two 5200s running in a 40%). That's plenty. Now Fromeco says to try the Pepsi challenge... a blind taste test. And, Fromeco says you won't be able to tell the difference between LiPo and Lith-ion. I tried swapping packs back and forth (not blind, I did it myself) and thought I felt a difference. But, did I? I need to try the blind test. Also, with these brushless servos requiring so much less power than brushed motor servos, does that bring Lith-ion back on the table? Do these "crickets" level the playing field with the LiPos? Leaving my batteries in the plane to charge, and not worrying about fires, is very appealing to me. But, am I actually losing out on something by not running LiPos? Right now I'm mostly running LiPos because I "feel" like they are best. But, are they really?

Joe Hunt

150cc
Not sure the capacitors are necessary with today's powersafe receivers, assuming you will be running one? I can definitely see the advantage to using this device if one had a problem maintaining a low voltage drop to the receiver buss in instantaneous peak loads. Curious to hear other opinions.

Footuhbuh still hasn't released a failsafe receiver... I'm going to be running two 7008SB receivers.

Joe Hunt

150cc
I use them when using lithium ion batteries but I'm sure they aren't needed with Lipo's or A123's.
The way the voltage drops on my LiPos with a 1 amp load makes me wonder if we shouldn't be running these "crickets" all the time. I need to setup some of this new-fangled telemetry and figure this stuff out. haha Who knows, maybe lith-ion running crickets is better than LiPos. I don't know... yet. :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
So does that mean there will be a second photo shoot? ;)
-Paul

I would love to, but no time and money. :/ But, the next plane will come up soon and we'll see if we can't even improve on this photoshoot. I always want more and better! haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
Here's a pic under the hood, just cuz I think it's cool. haha

20150910_185540web.jpg

Opinions? Experiences?

View attachment 41450

Been running one on my current plane and it has been great. Very nice to have switch, failsafe and regulator all in one unit plus dump the ignition battery. The only thing is when you set it up in the radio, make sure you put the end points maxed out both directions. If you don't, it can be right at the on off point and the led will blink when the switch is turned off.