• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

Now you bring up batteries? what can a worms you gonna open next Joe! Been running LiFe (A123). Biggest advantage is how hard you can push them. The discharge rate is unreal, you can't load them enough to test a voltage drop, at least not with our equipment, so voltage drop is not a problem, so no d-cup or cricket (I kinda prefer a c-cup, but that is just personal preference) and you can charge them as fast as your charger is able to. Charge mine at 6a and takes about ten minutes for a full charge. They also have a very flat discharge curve, 6.6v all the way through, so no need for a regulator. Mine always stay balanced, the two packs are always within 50mah after charging both of them. Downsides, because you can't load them, there is not a good way to know if they have a good charge on them. You have to figure how many amps you use in a flight and figure how many flights before recharging. I get 5 flights on a 100cc and end up a little over half the pack used. they will stay at 6.6v until the very end and they drop off immediately, so there is no warning that you are getting low on charge. They are a bit heavier than lion/lipo.

Joe Hunt

150cc
What happened to the DA 170?

Sitting here shiny new and ready for the next plane (or might even end up in this plane after a few flights, who knows!). :) I put a DA-170 on the H9 Sukhoi two months ago (runs great and is strong). Now I'm putting a 3W-170CS on this AW Yak55M. Might even try a ZDZ 180 on the next plane! My friend just put a new DLE 170 on his H9 Sukhoi, so we'll have that to try, as well. It would be great to be able to make a comparison, especially with all the latest generations of the engines. Same with servos, you know? And, batteries... and power systems... and so it goes. haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
Now you bring up batteries? what can a worms you gonna open next Joe! Been running LiFe (A123). Biggest advantage is how hard you can push them. The discharge rate is unreal, you can't load them enough to test a voltage drop, at least not with our equipment, so voltage drop is not a problem, so no d-cup or cricket (I kinda prefer a c-cup, but that is just personal preference) and you can charge them as fast as your charger is able to. Charge mine at 6a and takes about ten minutes for a full charge. They also have a very flat discharge curve, 6.6v all the way through, so no need for a regulator. Mine always stay balanced, the two packs are always within 50mah after charging both of them. Downsides, because you can't load them, there is not a good way to know if they have a good charge on them. You have to figure how many amps you use in a flight and figure how many flights before recharging. I get 5 flights on a 100cc and end up a little over half the pack used. they will stay at 6.6v until the very end and they drop off immediately, so there is no warning that you are getting low on charge. They are a bit heavier than lion/lipo.

That about sums it up. haha I love A123's (they are awesome for cordless hand tools)... I thought they'd be the end all. But, you do talk about some of the downsides, steep drop off on the discharge curve, no convenient way to know how close you are to that curve, and a bit extra weight. But, there is also the 6.6v. I like the feel of higher voltage now, so there's that too.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Very Nice Slideshow……..
I Love the bonus footage you have all the fun!

Kylee was great, 24 year old college grad engaged to a guy just finishing up 12 years of schooling and getting ready to start his career as a doctor. Living in San Diego with a view of the bay, life for them is pretty darn good. :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Been running one on my current plane and it has been great. Very nice to have switch, failsafe and regulator all in one unit plus dump the ignition battery. The only thing is when you set it up in the radio, make sure you put the end points maxed out both directions. If you don't, it can be right at the on off point and the led will blink when the switch is turned off.

No ignition battery nor ignition switch sounds good, and like a weight savings. I think since I already put a switch and battery on this plane I'll put up a few flights that way, and then remove them and replace them with this little gizmo. Tavis (aka Buttface) swears by them and talked me into getting one.