• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Article: Member Review: Extreme Flight 48" Yak-EXP

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
Dudes I've got bugger all throttle response on the airboss it's like it has soft start is there a setting to change the response?

Bump up the throttle trim until the motor idles. That will stop it. If you are as lazy as I am, use a throttle to throttle mix and put it on a switch. Flip the switch, and the motor idles, all problems go away.

[video=youtube;fXE206QTB6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXE206QTB6I[/video]

Glamor+Shot__0047.JPG

Glamor+Shot__0039.JPG

Yak+Oil+Cooler__001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump up the throttle trim until the motor idles. That will stop it. If you are as lazy as I am, use a throttle to throttle mix and put it on a switch. Flip the switch, and the motor idles, all problems go away.

I set up a Thro-Thro mix on my DX7 (DSM2) with 100%UP 100%DOWN and 125% Offset. From there I used the trim button to get the throttle at 0% on the low stick position, using the monitor screen. I then switched on the plane and the ESC armed. I restrained the plane, and then flipped the switch (I could only assign the mix to the GEAR switch) and it turned the prop at a nice idle speed. I messed with the trim with the prop spinning to check it and I decided it didn't need to be adjusted further.

Thanks

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
I set up a Thro-Thro mix on my DX7 (DSM2) with 100%UP 100%DOWN and 125% Offset. From there I used the trim button to get the throttle at 0% on the low stick position, using the monitor screen. I then switched on the plane and the ESC armed. I restrained the plane, and then flipped the switch (I could only assign the mix to the GEAR switch) and it turned the prop at a nice idle speed. I messed with the trim with the prop spinning to check it and I decided it didn't need to be adjusted further.

Thanks

I think the 125% offset might confuse the esc..... I don't really know because I fly Futaba. I've set a few up with the DX8 and they work fine. I describe the mix better in the article.

Feral

[video=youtube;fXE206QTB6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXE206QTB6I[/video]

Glamor+Shot__0047.JPG

Glamor+Shot__0039.JPG

Yak+Oil+Cooler__001.JPG

Thanks for your input Doc I've tried running an idle up and it still isn't right it like its in soft start ( heli mode ) but it isn't I've been through the programming and it's all correct I'll try the castle with hard throttle response and if it's still not right I'll get a motrolfly for her.

Apart from that it flies absolutely wicked no ail corrections for KE spins and it tracks like a bullet in any attitude it's wild

I think the 125% offset might confuse the esc..... I don't really know because I fly Futaba. I've set a few up with the DX8 and they work fine. I describe the mix better in the article.

I think I had to use the offset in order to get the throttle at 0 on the servo monitor. That is, with the throttle trimmed up, it had the effect of raising the throttle with the switch in the off position. Now it is at dead 0 and as I raise the stick (with the switch still off) the throttle actually goes below 0. Not that that's an issue. I only arm the ESC at low throttle and OFF. Of course, I'll fly tomorrow to test the throttle response.
Also, have you ever tried digital servos in any of your 48" EXP planes? I've got 5065s in the Edge. Don't know if they're a bit overkill. Might try regular 65s in the Yak.

Feral

Swapped out the airboss for a Castle Edge 50 lite now the throttle response is explosive bloody awsome

3DMad5

50cc
How does the Yak compare to the MXS and the Edge in the EXP series? I've been looking to get a 48" EF plane for a while but I can't decide which would be best.

gyro

GSN Contributor

danielph

50cc
Yes, the Yak is one of the most precise and accurate flying EXPs. It is closest to the Extra and rolls on a string. Snap rolls are beautiful, tracking is amazing, and the 3D capabilities are still top shelf.

To expound on what Gyro said, any of the EXPs will leave you thrilled!

If you fly mostly precision aerobatics, the Extra, Yak, and Laser will be best suited to your flying.

If you like low and slow 3D, the Edge and Laser are the easiest in that field.

If you like high speed XA flying, the MXS, Extra and Laser are all right at home there.

The Extra is still my favorite all around airplane. That being said, they will all do it all with EXTREME precision!

Last edited by a moderator:

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I agree with Daniel. They all just fly amazing. I still fly my Edge all the time. I want a laser but I won't get one until I just can't fix this Edge anymore. Just awesome how they fly being so small.