• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
So other than adding a a bunch of pictures and doing a little cowling baffling, I am pretty much done with this bird. Empty it's 10.3lbs and the CG is roughly 3/4" in front of the wing tube. I can see the finish line!! unfortunately I have to leave for a work trip for almost two weeks, so no maiden for a while :facepalm:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Fuel Tank Installation & Plumbing.

Fortitude 16oz V1, TDRC Blue Fuel tubing to engine, and Tygon to the Fuel Dot.

IMG_2607.JPG
Made new slots for my fuel tank straps to keep it from wandering around into my throttle servo.

IMG_2619.JPG
I lightly heat up the fuel tubing to help it slip over the fuel tank, and carb barbs. Then gently roll it while sqeezing to give it a better seal.

IMG_2661.JPG
This was the best way I found to make an opening for the fuel line, an angled hole while beveled sides pointing inward.

IMG_2662.JPG
With this routing it just clears the engine mount and gives adequate spacing from the JTec Muffler (Not on in this pic)

IMG_2663.JPG

There you can see the fuel tubing being routed.

IMG_2654.JPG
Heated up the Tygon and inserted a pen to open up the ID so the fuel dot can get inserted and removed with a bit more ease.

IMG_2656.JPG

I trimmed it a little bit after this pic.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Air Exhaust

IMG_2621.JPGIMG_2622.JPGIMG_2623.JPG

Here I added a balsa chunk and a rubber fuel line holder for the fuel tank vent line.

IMG_2649.JPGIMG_2650.JPG

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Batter Installation.

ED Nano A123 2500 w/deans output and a servo plug for charging.

Fabricated a tray to sit just aft and below the rudder servo for optimum CG.

IMG_2626.JPGIMG_2628.JPGIMG_2630.JPGIMG_2631.JPGIMG_2633.JPGIMG_2641.JPG

Added looming to the battery cable.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Having a spare channel in the Receiver, I decided to Y harness the battery input to help share the load and add a little bit of security. Obviously I decided to opt out the idea of putting a switch in like SupaTim.

IMG_2638.JPGIMG_2639.JPGIMG_2640.JPG

I added looming to that wicked creation afterwards. I used 6" TDRC 20AWG servo extensions for this, just removed the white wire (by pushing forward on the wire, getting a xacto blade and bending the plastic tab up, then pulling the wire out).

IMG_2637.JPG

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Wing Servo Wire Extensions.

TDRC 6" 20AWG

IMG_2634.JPGIMG_2642.JPG

And once again added looming. Now you can see the whole setup to the receiver. I used hot glue to keep the antennas in place. I also put a bead across all the servo wire connectors for extra strength.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Muffler Installation.

IMG_2664.JPG

Jtec wrap around pitts muffler, Nordlock washers #19282, Ultra Copper RTV.

IMG_2665.JPG
Here is a close up of the Nordlock Washers.

IMG_2667.JPG
Clean everything with alcohol to the RTV gets a good bond.

IMG_2668.JPG
The consensus was to put copper RTV on the threads of the muffler bolts and a thin film around the flange.

IMG_2669.JPG
Here you can see the nordlocks splitting from their pair and interlock. Be careful not to over tighten the muffler bolts, you can pinch and crack the JTec Muffler if you put too much gusto into it.

IMG_2672.JPG

Installed.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Ended up capping off the mfgr's throttle servo opening.

IMG_2659.JPG

Here you can see the top of the engine and how everything is routed.

IMG_2648.JPG

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Cowling Installation:

Used supplied hardware to install blind nuts w/epoxy.

IMG_2673.JPGIMG_2674.JPGIMG_2675.JPGIMG_2676.JPGIMG_2677.JPGIMG_2678.JPGIMG_2680.JPGIMG_2682.JPGIMG_2683.JPGIMG_2684.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Propeller Istallation:

Used the DA drilling Guide. Prop at roughly the 2 o'clock position coming up on TDC. Falcon 20X9

IMG_2596.JPGIMG_2598.JPGIMG_2599.JPGIMG_2600.JPGIMG_2601.JPG

Don't forget to balance!!!! But in this case it was perfect.