• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez "BANSHEE" 91" Slick build

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well it's been a nice relaxing weekend mostly, got lots of work done on the airplane.

The RCGF55 template was almost a near perfect match for the DA70, I did have to ream one hole slightly (that could have been my own doing though).
_MG_5575.jpg
_MG_5576.jpg

Test fitting the beast.
_MG_5577.jpg

I did run into an issue with the SWB mount being too wide for the pre-installed bolts in the firewall, so I countersunk the 2 bolts that were in the way.
_MG_5579.jpg

Bolted in place now.
_MG_5580.jpg

I got the tank plumbed up and decided to test run the engine. Just like a DA, started on the 4th flip, idled perfectly. With the Hitec HSB-9465SH servo controlling the throttle, she revs as fast as I can move my thumb!!!

Electric like would be the appropriate response, I'm sure with the Falcon 24x9 it's gonna be a screaming setup.

Test fitting the cowl.
_MG_5581.jpg

Cowl back off, I decided to make a mounting plate for my ignition to sit up top. Some velcro and a Hitec Velcro strap hold it in securely.
_MG_5582.jpg

Underneath, showing the 9465 and the throttle linkage. Red loctite the bolts and screws in this area, especially on the linkage.
_MG_5584.jpg

Ignition switch in place, as is the fuel dot.
_MG_5585.jpg

Scariest part of the entire build was cutting the cowl correctly, but I think I got it just about perfect. Slips right on and off, should be plenty of cooling as far as the cowl goes, I did open up all of the vents on the bottom of the airplane as well.
_MG_5586.jpg
_MG_5587.jpg

Shiny!!!
_MG_5588.jpg

I like a tight gap. I did wind up having to use the small shims the SWB 1" standoff kit included to get the correct spacing.
_MG_5591.jpg

Baffles installed in the cowl. They are made of 6mm depron and will melt to the correct shape against the cylinder heads. I have used Depron baffles on everything and so have buddies of mine, these should work great.
_MG_5592.jpg

Back inside, I made a mounting plate for my Maxima 6 receivers, and used red tubes to route the antennas.
_MG_5593.jpg

Ignition pack in place, I can always move it inside of the fuselage if this turns out to be too far forward, or too hot.
_MG_5594.jpg

Cable clamps in place, I have some split wire loom coming that I will fit everything inside of.
_MG_5595.jpg

The CG is at the front edge of the wing tube.

This is where I wound up placing my flight packs, it seems to be the perfect location for them!!!
_MG_5596.jpg

I waited until the very last step to place my rx switch because it depended on where I placed the receiver batteries. Because of the plywood structure inside, I did not need the outside bolts to secure the unit, the 4 inside ones clamp up against the plywood. This makes the switches sit more flush with the mounting plate which I like better.
_MG_5597.jpg

Final tiding up of the wires.
_MG_5598.jpg

Should be ready to maiden this weekend!!!:D:D:yesss::woohoo!:
_MG_5599.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well it's been a nice relaxing weekend mostly, got lots of work done on the airplane.

The RCGF55 template was almost a near perfect match for the DA70, I did have to ream one hole slightly (that could have been my own doing though).
View attachment 50787 View attachment 50788

Test fitting the beast.
View attachment 50789

I did run into an issue with the SWB mount being too wide for the pre-installed bolts in the firewall, so I countersunk the 2 bolts that were in the way.
View attachment 50790

Bolted in place now.
View attachment 50791

I got the tank plumbed up and decided to test run the engine. Just like a DA, started on the 4th flip, idled perfectly. With the Hitec HSB-9465SH servo controlling the throttle, she revs as fast as I can move my thumb!!!

Electric like would be the appropriate response, I'm sure with the Falcon 24x9 it's gonna be a screaming setup.

Test fitting the cowl.
View attachment 50792

Cowl back off, I decided to make a mounting plate for my ignition to sit up top. Some velcro and a Hitec Velcro strap hold it in securely.
View attachment 50793

Underneath, showing the 9465 and the throttle linkage. Red loctite the bolts and screws in this area, especially on the linkage.
View attachment 50794

Ignition switch in place, as is the fuel dot.
View attachment 50795

Scariest part of the entire build was cutting the cowl correctly, but I think I got it just about perfect. Slips right on and off, should be plenty of cooling as far as the cowl goes, I did open up all of the vents on the bottom of the airplane as well.
View attachment 50796 View attachment 50797

Shiny!!!
View attachment 50798

I like a tight gap. I did wind up having to use the small shims the SWB 1" standoff kit included to get the correct spacing.
View attachment 50799

Baffles installed in the cowl. They are made of 6mm depron and will melt to the correct shape against the cylinder heads. I have used Depron baffles on everything and so have buddies of mine, these should work great.
View attachment 50800

Back inside, I made a mounting plate for my Maxima 6 receivers, and used red tubes to route the antennas.
View attachment 50801

Ignition pack in place, I can always move it inside of the fuselage if this turns out to be too far forward, or too hot.
View attachment 50802

Cable clamps in place, I have some split wire loom coming that I will fit everything inside of.
View attachment 50803

The CG is at the front edge of the wing tube.

This is where I wound up placing my flight packs, it seems to be the perfect location for them!!!
View attachment 50804

I waited until the very last step to place my rx switch because it depended on where I placed the receiver batteries. Because of the plywood structure inside, I did not need the outside bolts to secure the unit, the 4 inside ones clamp up against the plywood. This makes the switches sit more flush with the mounting plate which I like better.
View attachment 50805

Final tiding up of the wires.
View attachment 50806

Should be ready to maiden this weekend!!!:D:D:yesss::woohoo!:
View attachment 50807
Looks great Tanner. Just a side note here. Pictures are ok. They show that you took the plane to the field. Videos on the other hand, show you actually flew it and beat the tar outta it. :laughing:Just sayin'. Don't forget the maiden video. :banana-dance:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
We don't film or photograph maidens around here, unless you don't want to take the airplane home with you :p

:oblong:;)

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
Before I decide on an airframe, I like to look for maiden videos because although most of the time they are boring, you can see if the initial flight had any issues with c.g. or handling, landing gear issues. Landing for the first time is the most important. You can see if an airframe settles in nicely or has bouncy gear or comes in too hot.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not all airplanes are going to be exactly identical since they are all essentially hand built, plus airplanes are all finished differently depending on the builder, so one maiden video will never match someone elses maiden video. Everything you put on the airplane can affect it in the air, even where you place it inside, so a maiden video won't really tell you anything. You'll never know what to expect until you fly the airplane, but around here it is considered extremely bad luck to film a maiden flight and you may not end up taking the same number of pieces home as you arrived at the field with.

My landings are smooth like cream cheese so that won't tell you anything :p:D:D:D