• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 70″ Slick PRO Step By Step Build Guide

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not sure if I mentioned this earlier but it's a tip I like to use when I have to make clean cutouts for servos or cables, and it's a method I used on the Slick throughout the build. It's why my Slick looks so slick ;)

First, you need to have an adjustable soldering iron, I have a Hakko FX888D that shows me temperature readouts on the unit itself. Set this between 500*F and 550*F- install your thin tip at this time.

Secondly, you need to clean the tip of the iron thoroughly to rid it of as much solder as possible. You may want to heat the iron up fully to clean it off and then back it down to the right temp range. I don't use wet sponges as I've found they tend to make the tip fail prematurely, I only use the golden scrubby to clean my iron tips.

Thirdly, locate the hole you plan on opening up and use your fingernail to outline it. Begin to remove it by poking your soldering iron tip through the covering in the middle of the edge you just outlined, and drag the tip through it. The 500-550*F range is plenty to melt through the covering quickly so you have to move quickly. Once you have melted through the covering and opened the hole up completely, run your iron around the edges once more to seal the covering up to the wood inside.

This makes a very clean, easily done cutout that doesn't need a sharp hobby knife to leave behind jagged edges or tears. It takes a little bit of practice to perfect it so you may want to iron down some strips of scrap or spare covering over a test sheet of wood to try it out before you risk your airplane. I'll get pictures of this process up later sometime, not sure when. I may make a separate thread for it.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
@Express LOL didn't even dawn on me dude. Guess that would be a huge NO! Thats just too funny man.

@Boosee I have figured it out bud. I just wanted to know if there is any real difference between running the AR7610 and the AR8000 other than the obvious extra channels. The answer is no. Which means I will stick with the 7610 and HS7954 servo's I already have. Plus I chose to stay with the Hitec servos instead of getting the Savox 1270TG's because I already have them and I am giving serious consideration to either Jetti or DX9 maybe DX18. So that's $400 I can save to go towards that.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
@Express hey man did you use the stock black servo arms that came with the Hitec HS7954 servos? I ask because I am and I get full throw both ways and still have more to go on all surfaces.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yes, but I used the longer HD arms. It turned out to be plenty for me with the throws turned up a bit on all of the servos. I may fit a 3" aluminum arm onto the rudder and I may fit Dubro long HD arms to the ailerons but otherwise the stock long HD arms work great.

The HD arms are the thicker arms.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
@Express LOL didn't even dawn on me dude. Guess that would be a huge NO! Thats just too funny man.

@Boosee I have figured it out bud. I just wanted to know if there is any real difference between running the AR7610 and the AR8000 other than the obvious extra channels. The answer is no. Which means I will stick with the 7610 and HS7954 servo's I already have. Plus I chose to stay with the Hitec servos instead of getting the Savox 1270TG's because I already have them and I am giving serious consideration to either Jetti or DX9 maybe DX18. So that's $400 I can save to go towards that.

[MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION], the Jeti radio is a piece of industrial art. Expensive but possibly the last radio you'll ever buy. There are NO PLASTIC parts other than the screen. Its a very difference user interface, I'm warming up to it as I learn more about it. I was starting to tire of cheap Spektrum build quality and didn't want to continue with plastic radios. I still like Spektrum, they have had bullet proof signal for me anyway, and I like that they work with my BNF planes and Phoenix simulator. Actually, the DS-14 is pretty close in price to the DX-18, I believe it is far superior. I considered the Hitec Aurora but decided to spend 3X the money and go for a DS-16.

I have had transmitter failures on my DX8 and my 2 year old DX9. Got to hand it to Horizon Hobby though, they fixed both at no charge although both ways shipping cost me $50.

Last edited by a moderator: