• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 70″ Slick PRO Step By Step Build Guide

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Okay so how long do you think the CA hinges will last before needing to be replaced? BTW sticking pins in them I think creates a weak point... Albeit not much of one, but with this size airframe running CA hinges to begin with I think is the weak point, why make it even weaker by putting holes in them. Just my 2 cents worth. I really do like the scheme and it looks amazing in the air, and it looks like it fly's really good too.
[MENTION=2215]Aerobeez[/MENTION] can you tell me or us the reason the CA hinges were chosen for this airframe?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
CA hinges will last indefinitely as long as they aren't torn. They are actually really strong. With this plane being electric only I don't see it as a huge concern. I admit that planes I have built with CA hinges were much smaller than this one, but on each one of them I have given a really firm tug on the control surface to make sure it won't come apart. I do this on bigger planes with robart style hinges as well. At the end of the day, only time will tell how well these hinges hold up in a big model like this. I am watching with anticipation.

As far as the pin holes go, there really isn't a risk there IMO. CA hinges are basically a fibrous fabric. Pin holes aren't actually breaking any fibers. They are just moving them to the side. I don't think any damage is done to the hinge in the hinging procedure documented here. I honestly wish I would have thought of it sooner as getting CA hinges in properly can really be a pain. This method insures that half the hinge is in each side of the hinge joint. Without the pins you could be trying to adjust them for quite a while before you are comfortable.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Okay so how long do you think the CA hinges will last before needing to be replaced? BTW sticking pins in them I think creates a weak point... Albeit not much of one, but with this size airframe running CA hinges to begin with I think is the weak point, why make it even weaker by putting holes in them. Just my 2 cents worth. I really do like the scheme and it looks amazing in the air, and it looks like it fly's really good too.
[MENTION=2215]Aerobeez[/MENTION] can you tell me or us the reason the CA hinges were chosen for this airframe?

We can certainly guess why the CA hinge, 1) light weight, 2) cheaper, 3) quicker easier build.

My concern is not that the CA hinges will break but rather them pulling out with the extra force of a 70 size plane. But the more I think about it, I doubt that will happen, there are probably enough in each control surface to spread the load.

As far as the pins go I normally put the pin in the center of the hinge where there is normally a gap anyway.

I had a 7 foot, 8 pound eflite Carbon Z Cub that had CA hinges, I had an aileron pull out, but that was fiber hinges into Z-foam. I quickly sold the plane after than happened, didn't want to deal with that anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
There's no gasoline engine to jackhammer on this airplane, so there's zero chance of the CA hinge failing unless due to improper installation on the user end part.