• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

Hey guys. I've got a cowl alignment question. I mounted the DLE-30 using the stand-offs included with the motor and the DLE-30 drill template included with the kit. I also got the cowl cut. When I put the cowl on and align it to the fuselage, the motor isn't centered at the front of the cowl.

cowl no spinner.jpg

I don't think I can shim the cowl or it won't match up with the fuselage. And I don't think I want to shim the motor or it will change the thrust angle. The gap between the spinner and the cowl isn't perfect but I can live with it. Anybody have any suggestions or should I just go with it as is?

Thanks,
Marc

cowl with spinner top.jpg

cowl with spinner.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys. I've got a cowl alignment question. I mounted the DLE-30 using the stand-offs included with the motor and the DLE-30 drill template included with the kit. I also got the cowl cut. When I put the cowl on and align it to the fuselage, the motor isn't centered at the front of the cowl.

View attachment 19538

I don't think I can shim the cowl or it won't match up with the fuselage. And I don't think I want to shim the motor or it will change the thrust angle. The gap between the spinner and the cowl isn't perfect but I can live with it. Anybody have any suggestions or should I just go with it as is?

Thanks,
Marc

View attachment 19539

View attachment 19540

This was the cowl alignment on my 92" edge:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386975331.010401.jpg

That motor was mounted correctly, the issue was in the cowl ring. I just used a slightly larger spinner and all was ok for me.

For those following my saga of the missing control horn (and who wasn't), the RC gods were looking kindly on me today. 3DHS is offering free shipping on any order. So I ordered my missing control horn for $3.99

I tried for a week (phone calls and email) to get in touch with 3DHS about the missing part, but I was not successful. So I hope they don't balk at the free shipping on such a small order! :D Thanks much to the guys who offered their assistance or a spare control horn.

On another note, I was pleased with my throttle servo mounting. It'll be out of the way of the fuel tank and still pretty easy to get to. I haven't seen anyone else mount it this way (maybe there is a reason for that?). But if needed for CG, I can use a flex-cable and move the servo back.

Marc

throttle servo.jpg

throttle linkage.jpg

For those following my saga of the missing control horn (and who wasn't), the RC gods were looking kindly on me today. 3DHS is offering free shipping on any order. So I ordered my missing control horn for $3.99

I tried for a week (phone calls and email) to get in touch with 3DHS about the missing part, but I was not successful. So I hope they don't balk at the free shipping on such a small order! :D Thanks much to the guys who offered their assistance or a spare control horn.

On another note, I was pleased with my throttle servo mounting. It'll be out of the way of the fuel tank and still pretty easy to get to. I haven't seen anyone else mount it this way (maybe there is a reason for that?). But if needed for CG, I can use a flex-cable and move the servo back.

Marc

View attachment 19573

View attachment 19574

That's how I mounted my choke servo and throttle servo on my 92 and will never mount in any other location again. It's nice cause there out of the way!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387434960460.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387434960460.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 214

gyro

GSN Contributor

Marc

View attachment 19573

View attachment 19574

Marc,

Did you ever hear back from 3dhs customer service? Surely they have replied to your emails by now...