• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

Hmm, mine is no more as it met a tree.

The replacement showed up, but UPS damaged it and I don't want to open it till I get return info from Noll.

My 71 slick and velox had a seperately bay or place to install the rudder servo which is what I based my answer on as the edge was already setup as I bought it used. It had a single elevator and a push pull rudder so I know it is possible to set it up that way.

You must have to use the right bay for the rudder if there is no other place.

My 71 slick and velox had a seperately bay or place to install the rudder servo which is what I based my answer on as the edge was already setup as I bought it used. It had a single elevator and a push pull rudder so I know it is possible to set it up that way.

You must have to use the right bay for the rudder if there is no other place.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Either way I go I'm going to need to get some additional hardware. If I go pull-pull I'll need a longer double servo arm. If I go push-pull I need a longer threaded pushrod as the kit didn't come with a pushrod long enough for the rudder.

Marc

The other odd thing about the hardware pack is that I have 20 extra hinges (that's not an exaggeration), 2 extra aluminum axles (those may come in handy on a hard landing), and 2 extra thumb screw wing bolts. But no pushrod long enough for the rudder. :rolleyes:

Marc

gyro

GSN Contributor
The other odd thing about the hardware pack is that I have 20 extra hinges (that's not an exaggeration), 2 extra aluminum axles (those may come in handy on a hard landing), and 2 extra thumb screw wing bolts. But no pushrod long enough for the rudder. :rolleyes:

Marc

You might need those hinges... The elevator hinges on my 92 were hardly glued in, and had A LOT of fore-aft play.

You might need those hinges... The elevator hinges on my 92 were hardly glued in, and had A LOT of fore-aft play.

My ailerons came glued and the gap was taped. At least they seem glued. I tug on them and they are tight. The rudder and elevator halves came with hinges just pushed in place with no glue on either half. Then there were the 20 extra hinges in the bags. Hmmmm. Maybe there are a lot more control surfaces on this plane than I think? :D

Marc

Just looked and I only have four sets of the double control horns.

If I go pull-pull on the rudder I figure I need five sets (two for rudder, two for ailerons and one for elevator). Hmmmm. I'll email 3DHS and ask for another. Is this thing a standard size that can be bought elsewhere?

Marc

control horn.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just looked and I only have four sets of the double control horns.

If I go pull-pull on the rudder I figure I need five sets (two for rudder, two for ailerons and one for elevator). Hmmmm. I'll email 3DHS and ask for another. Is this thing a standard size that can be bought elsewhere?

Marc

View attachment 19469

My advice:

Go push-pull on the rudder, buy the control rod at the LHS. (or post the size and let your friends on the forum step up)

It'll be faster than getting any replacement stuff, and the plane will balance better with the gas motor up front (per the manual)

My advice:

Go push-pull on the rudder, buy the control rod at the LHS. (or post the size and let your friends on the forum step up)

It'll be faster than getting any replacement stuff, and the plane will balance better with the gas motor up front (per the manual)

Sound advice. Not sure I trust the manual though since it is actually for the 72" Extra (even though 3DHS says to use it for the 74" Edge) and there are obvious differences between the servo bays shown for the Extra in the manual and the servo bays for the Edge airframe sitting in my living room. Kind of don't want to end up tail heavy and have to add a bunch of weight in the nose.

I might ponder it for a day or two and see if anyone has set up push-pull on this airframe with a DLE-30 to see how the CG ended up.

Marc

I found two other guys who said they used pull-pull with a gas engine and got correct CG. I've got an email into 3DHS for the missing control horn. If that results in little satisfaction, I'll get some material and cut my own with a scroll saw. Stay tuned. ;)

Marc

I am flying my 74 on an OS GT33 with the rudder setup as pull-pull and I got CG with no effort at all. I'm running two 1100 A123's mounted just aft of CG and it flew almost neutral on the maiden with just a touch of down required to stay level while inverted. Here is my original setup.

IMG_1879.JPG

The setup is now changed slightly after a mishap requiring some fiberglass and epoxy work on the motorbox (the damage wasn't extensive and not much weight was added, but enough to make me move the batteries). I have moved the A123's back to the end of the canister tunnel. I installed some 1/16th ply inside the tunnel then mounted the batteries vertical behind the Rx. Even now it could stand to have the CG moved back just a little more. Here is the setup now.

20131209_091703.jpg

I am not a great 3D pilot and am slowly learning so my planes are not setup to be crazy aggressive (They have the potential though). I would be really weary of a push-pull in this plane, especially since, iirc, the DLE 30 is lighter than the OS. I got most of my setup tips from Bivens over on the "other" forum. He was initially running a DLE 30 also and his rudder was pull-pull.

Last edited by a moderator: