• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

Below .10 I have not been able to tell at this point in my skills. If I try a stabilizer I will go with faster servos as it can utilize the speed. Keep meaning to put the guardian we have laying around in my laser just to see what it does. I know it is not a Cortex.

maxx4wd

50cc
Well I finally ordered the 72" replacement gear from graphtechrc.com - hopefully I'll be able to tell you guys how it compares to the stock piece...it just shipped today so I'm guessing it'll be a day or two. I'll post up some comparison pics if anyone is interested...anyhow, I'm interested to see how it compares and how well it'll perform. Just a quick update for those wondering..

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well I finally ordered the 72" replacement gear from graphtechrc.com - hopefully I'll be able to tell you guys how it compares to the stock piece...it just shipped today so I'm guessing it'll be a day or two. I'll post up some comparison pics if anyone is interested...anyhow, I'm interested to see how it compares and how well it'll perform. Just a quick update for those wondering..

Thanks for the reminder. I'll order some tonight

maxx4wd

50cc
Ok I finally got around to opening the package and comparing the LG from graphtechrc to the original. Here's what I found.

1. The graphtechrc LGs dimensions are not quite the same as the stock units (although I measures them and sent them autocad files).

2. The dimensions are in our favor as far a strength is concerned - thicker and a touch wider.

3. The gear fits perfectly on the fuse but due to the thicker cross section the gear cover no longer lays flat and the since the tolerances weren't held at the wheels the pants no longer fit perfectly either.

4. If you leave off the pants and shave the fuse cover down thrown it's really a non issue and should be quite a bit stronger than stock gear (a counter point though - if the gear is stronger than something else will break first - namely the attachment wood or supports. )

Fit and finish is nice and since it's in stock whenever then this is a great option whenever the stock gear is unavailable.

I'll grab a figment picture as soon as I remember (we just sold our house so were busy packing up and moving so rightly so the RC stuff gets put on the back burner a wee bit)

Just my .02

Tony

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406586223.482227.jpg

kman240

New to GSN!
Hi....well I have been flying my extra for about a month now and love it!! The only thing I have noticed is that for about the first minute of flight I get a knocking sound coming from the motor/esc. The sound is rhythmic with a definite frequency about 3hz but it only happens at full throttle. Almost sounds like a mechanical sound but it isn't since I have eliminated that. I started with 19x10 prop then went to 19x8 and it made no difference. Played with timing and seemed to make no diff. Set current limit to insensitive and no diff. The only thing I haven't tried is to go from 8 to 12 kHz pwm. Has anyone had these problems??? I have an 8s setup with motrolfly 4330 298 using Castle Phoenix Edge 100. Separate Western Robotics BEC. Doesn't seem to affect performance at all but I want to find out what it is.......after about 1 min of flight it is ok...at least I no longer can hear it. So it must have something to do with battery voltage being higher at start?? One thing I had to do was to extend the esc wire harness to the receiver by about 6 inches....maybe the increased length is causing problems??? Any ideas??....Thanks!!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Try changing the extension? Its a stretch but worth trying. Im not sure why extending the signal wires would cause a problem but a better quality of wire/connection might make a difference. Im inclined to agree more with the idea of it being voltage related. You did not extend any other wires, correct?

maxx4wd

50cc
Hi....well I have been flying my extra for about a month now and love it!! The only thing I have noticed is that for about the first minute of flight I get a knocking sound coming from the motor/esc. The sound is rhythmic with a definite frequency about 3hz but it only happens at full throttle. Almost sounds like a mechanical sound but it isn't since I have eliminated that. I started with 19x10 prop then went to 19x8 and it made no difference. Played with timing and seemed to make no diff. Set current limit to insensitive and no diff. The only thing I haven't tried is to go from 8 to 12 kHz pwm. Has anyone had these problems??? I have an 8s setup with motrolfly 4330 298 using Castle Phoenix Edge 100. Separate Western Robotics BEC. Doesn't seem to affect performance at all but I want to find out what it is.......after about 1 min of flight it is ok...at least I no longer can hear it. So it must have something to do with battery voltage being higher at start?? One thing I had to do was to extend the esc wire harness to the receiver by about 6 inches....maybe the increased length is causing problems??? Any ideas??....Thanks!!

Since this is just at the startup I'm wondering if it's a thermal expansion issue (maybe in the bearing or a couple of the magnets)...once the motor gets warm and the bell expands then it eliminates the noise - wonder if 2 of the magnets might just barely be rubbing...or the motor bearings are a little dry. Try using some high quality bearing oil and running the motor up cold and see if the noise goes away.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Had a little accident with the 72" yesterday, and spent most of this morning getting her all fixed. She won't win any up close beauty contests anymore, but sure looks good from about 10 feet away ;)

Before:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407699904.596689.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407699955.996344.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407699969.779425.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407700008.146343.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407700017.362906.jpg

Also, ordered the replacement landing gear from graphtec today, hopefully I'll be back in the air next weekend.