• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

AKfreak

150cc
Hello,

I've had similar issues mounting the dle55ra and dle61 which has the same spread out lower bolt pattern.

You'll be fine! Just cut that part of the firewall that sticks out, so it's flat. Then drill and mount.

I would mill the standoff so it has flat sides to fit the motor box. It will still hold the motor square to the motor box, without modifying the airframe.

I am sure it will work either way, but it would be easy to buy a new standoff one day, however to fix the motor box, it would be quite the chore.

Hiway

New to GSN!
Thanks for the information! I also posted on RCU and they said the motor was too much for the plane. I think 3DHS now says up to 38cc so that isn't an issue. I was OK with machining the washers and standoff or cutting the wood down. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake with the alignment marks at the factory. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Glad I asked here. Thanks Guys!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks for the information! I also posted on RCU and they said the motor was too much for the plane. I think 3DHS now says up to 38cc so that isn't an issue. I was OK with machining the washers and standoff or cutting the wood down. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake with the alignment marks at the factory. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Glad I asked here. Thanks Guys!

Well... They weren't necessarily lying at RCU, the airframe DOES need some mods prior to flying it... Especially that strong of a motor.

Please read back in this thread for how to reinforce the wings, and also liberally apply ca anywhere you can inside the fuse.

njswede

150cc
Thanks for the information! I also posted on RCU and they said the motor was too much for the plane.

It is NOT too much motor for that plane. I have a PTE36 in mine and it's quite a powerhouse and a great match for the plane. I would assume a DLE35 would perform very similar to the PTE.

If you look on I think the Velox thread, a guy put a DLE-35 on it and had to do some mods to the firewall to get it to fit. It is smaller than the 72 as it was designed back in the day for a beam mount. He had some good ideas on the problem.

Hiway

New to GSN!
I already saw the wing reinforcement posts. Shouldn't be like that but we are lucky we can all share experiences and learn. I will be fixing the wings. I bought this plane for me but my son will probably fly it more than I do. I taught him to fly when he was 8. He is 14 now and really amazing. He can't wait to try Rolling Harriers with this one. I think I better check every joint and add glue. Here is a flight of his from when we were on vacation in Maine. We bring foamies up there with us for when we aren't fishing.

[video=youtube_share;GTHgItMTDBk]http://youtu.be/GTHgItMTDBk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hiway

New to GSN!
Does anyone make a smoke muffler for the DLE35RA? The only one I can find so far is from B&B Specialties. I had one for another motor from them many yeas ago and it was heavy and had no preheat coil inside.

I got the engine mounted today. No problems.

image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

Hiway

New to GSN!
Any suggestions on getting the cooling right for the DLE35RA? I didn't want to have to open a big hole in the cowl on the bottom behind the head, but I'm not sure what else would work. The kit had panels for the bottom of the fuselage with holes in the balsa for venting. I am guessing that is for the electric configuration to keep batteries cool. I thought about using one of them. It would let air flow past the head, through the canister tunnel, and out the bottom. My concern is we are putting a smoke system on it and wouldn't want the oil going in there and getting to the wood at the tail.

I hate cutting up cowls but dead sticks from overheating are worse. Any ideas?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Any suggestions on getting the cooling right for the DLE35RA? I didn't want to have to open a big hole in the cowl on the bottom behind the head, but I'm not sure what else would work. The kit had panels for the bottom of the fuselage with holes in the balsa for venting. I am guessing that is for the electric configuration to keep batteries cool. I thought about using one of them. It would let air flow past the head, through the canister tunnel, and out the bottom. My concern is we are putting a smoke system on it and wouldn't want the oil going in there and getting to the wood at the tail.

I hate cutting up cowls but dead sticks from overheating are worse. Any ideas?

Cut a big enough opening to expose the whole front of the cylinder to air, then use the pipe tunnel for the air exit.