• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

wade

50cc
What is the consensus on this plane? Does it fly any better as an electric or a gasser? What are most of you running yours on? I have a dle 30 on mine, but after a season full of gremlins last year I'm just about ready to swear off gas engiens. I may stick with it and just work on it over winter and try to get all of the kinks worked out.

We put a new dle engine on it that was brand new out of the box. Got it fired up and it flew great, however I put the plane down pretty hard on the second flight. Everything still looks good, but you never know

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
What is the consensus on this plane? Does it fly any better as an electric or a gasser? What are most of you running yours on? I have a dle 30 on mine, but after a season full of gremlins last year I'm just about ready to swear off gas engiens. I may stick with it and just work on it over winter and try to get all of the kinks worked out.

We put a new dle engine on it that was brand new out of the box. Got it fired up and it flew great, however I put the plane down pretty hard on the second flight. Everything still looks good, but you never know

im partial, but i flew my dads on gas, and mine on electric. whole different plane, and i much prefer it electric. im sure others have vastly different experiences

gyro

GSN Contributor
im partial, but i flew my dads on gas, and mine on electric. whole different plane, and i much prefer it electric. im sure others have vastly different experiences

what made it so much better for you? Mine is gas, and I've never flown it on electric. What am I missing?

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
what made it so much better for you? Mine is gas, and I've never flown it on electric. What am I missing?

it was just a feel. i know power is power, but it felt smoother,more locked in, it slowed down better, just felt like a better plane

I'd have to vote with Gyro. The whole reason I went gas on this plane is because I was tired of 4 minute flights and landing before I was worn out. Plus the cost of a big electric and batts was the same as gas, and the batts are a "consumable" so I figured I'd be buying them again at some point due to my misguided storage procedures.

So.... gas was the call, and it flies just great. CG is spot-on, and it is pretty light - I thought I'd more impervious to crosswinds with this plane with gas. I was wrong....it doesn't weigh much with the 33cc and still gets blown around.

But I have not flown electric on anything this big - cost and flight times were the factors for me. I can fly a long time without thinking about charging anything, just add more fuel. Of course now I want a 50cc, and it's taking a great bit of restraint not to buy a 89" plane. I need to fly what I've got... more.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'd have to vote with Gyro. The whole reason I went gas on this plane is because I was tired of 4 minute flights and landing before I was worn out. Plus the cost of a big electric and batts was the same as gas, and the batts are a "consumable" so I figured I'd be buying them again at some point due to my misguided storage procedures.

So.... gas was the call, and it flies just great. CG is spot-on, and it is pretty light - I thought I'd more impervious to crosswinds with this plane with gas. I was wrong....it doesn't weigh much with the 33cc and still gets blown around.

But I have not flown electric on anything this big - cost and flight times were the factors for me. I can fly a long time without thinking about charging anything, just add more fuel. Of course now I want a 50cc, and it's taking a great bit of restraint not to buy a 89" plane. I need to fly what I've got... more.

Yup, I'm at 10.8 lbs fully loaded with 16oz of fuel (which gets 25 minutes of flight time if I want it)