• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

Letzrock

50cc
70" is my cutoff for electric. I have a 89" and a 103" all gas and I do like the extended flights. I just prefer the convenience of electric in the 70" size.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
I'd have to vote with Gyro. The whole reason I went gas on this plane is because I was tired of 4 minute flights and landing before I was worn out. Plus the cost of a big electric and batts was the same as gas, and the batts are a "consumable" so I figured I'd be buying them again at some point due to my misguided storage procedures.

So.... gas was the call, and it flies just great. CG is spot-on, and it is pretty light - I thought I'd more impervious to crosswinds with this plane with gas. I was wrong....it doesn't weigh much with the 33cc and still gets blown around.

But I have not flown electric on anything this big - cost and flight times were the factors for me. I can fly a long time without thinking about charging anything, just add more fuel. Of course now I want a 50cc, and it's taking a great bit of restraint not to buy a 89" plane. I need to fly what I've got... more.

not saying gas isnt fine, but its hard to know if you havnt flown something electric in this size. i highly encourage you to try to get some flights on one, if for nothing else then being able to know the difference. im more than willing to go with the quality over quantity when it comes to flight time

zmonster97

not saying gas isnt fine, but its hard to know if you havnt flown something electric in this size. i highly encourage you to try to get some flights on one, if for nothing else then being able to know the difference. im more than willing to go with the quality over quantity when it comes to flight time

+1! This size just seems to small for gas to me! And relatively, this size isn't too big, and is the perfect size for me. So I like the convenience of electric since I take it to the field a lot.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
+1! This size just seems to small for gas to me! And relatively, this size isn't too big, and is the perfect size for me. So I like the convenience of electric since I take it to the field a lot.

yeah, i have yet to meet anyone (that i remember haha) that has said they have flown both in this size and like gas better. well, maybe bivens, but with the amount he flies and his experience with gas, when he gets to the field, i can understand why he likes gas haha

gyro

GSN Contributor
yeah, i have yet to meet anyone (that i remember haha) that has said they have flown both in this size and like gas better. well, maybe bivens, but with the amount he flies and his experience with gas, when he gets to the field, i can understand why he likes gas haha

I like gas better. We've met... :p

Electric is nice, and maybe I've got the best running DLE30 in the world (19x8 Falcon CF prop to 9500 rpm in flight), but yeah, I like the gas! :D

I'll be the first to admit, I have not flown a 70 electric - and I might be totally missing out, my next size down is a 51 slick and I love it but I got tired of my limited supply of batteries.

I'm not sayin' electric is terrible, as I fly them, but what about the 20cc in a 70 Velox? Why would anyone go there? Here we've got a 30 in a 72" plane - I mean, it doesn't lack power or responsiveness compared to the electrics I've flown, in fact it has a ton of power and pullout is a breeze + unlimited vert very quickly. I have fun with it for sure.

What's the AUW diff between gas/electric on this plane? (1/2 tank of gas) are we splitting hairs, or is it a multi-lb difference? Not trying to argue - just curious.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I like gas too but sometimes I can definitely see the appeal of electric. For me it is also mostly about the money aspect. Although... electric tends to have less complications when it comes to getting a dependable power combo and less vibration means a longer lasting airframe. When it comes down to it you should just fly what you like and let others do the same ;)

I can totally see where electric would be much more floaty in this plane, because I was amazed at how floaty it was the first time I flew it (gas). I'm not drinkin' any electron Hatorade, please don't get me wrong there!

Gas is definitely noisier and more complicated to set up - choice of fields is more limited too because of that.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
everyone should fly what they like, and they do. for me its electric, regardless of size. but i know just as many people who prefer gas on any size they can. 6 one way half dozen the other