• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

gyro

GSN Contributor
Darn it all Gyro, now I have to ask - what's the fuzzy velcro trick? Soft mounting the servos so they don't whine as much? I gotta know!! Tell me, tell me!!!

Place a small bit of the fuzzy velcro (not the loops) between the elevator & horizontal stab, aileron & wing, and rudder and vert stab. The tiny bit of resistance will keep your servos from bouncing through center, and quiet them down a pinch on the ground.

Got it, thanks! I've got Align 610's in this plane, they whine a lot but (so far) they seem to center up well. Are you doing this velcro trick if they start hunting for center, or as the linkage gets a bit worn? Or, when do you choose to apply it? Thanks!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got it, thanks! I've got Align 610's in this plane, they whine a lot but (so far) they seem to center up well. Are you doing this velcro trick if they start hunting for center, or as the linkage gets a bit worn? Or, when do you choose to apply it? Thanks!

It will help regardless. They hunt for center because they're fast and strong, and have a low small band. Arron Bates does a good job of explaining it on the most recent 3dhs podcast.

The linkage itself shouldn't wear, and the gears are titanium so they should last a while. These servos rock!

G

JToney

30cc
hey guys, the 330sc 72'' is my first gas plane i've built and wondering if you could help me with a couple things.. I'm wondering which is the most best way to go with redundant batteries.. noticed on hobby king they have the power dist. boards fairly cheap.. are they any good? I'm gonna be running the savox 1258tgs and spektrum receiver.. should i just run to separate switches one to rx one to cdi or i've seen guys use BEC 's .. i dont wana say whats the cheapest but whats the most cost effective way .. i just dont want to buy junk and cost me a plane .. but yet i don't want to buy something that's overkill ..let me know what you guys think!

gyro

GSN Contributor
hey guys, the 330sc 72'' is my first gas plane i've built and wondering if you could help me with a couple things.. I'm wondering which is the most best way to go with redundant batteries.. noticed on hobby king they have the power dist. boards fairly cheap.. are they any good? I'm gonna be running the savox 1258tgs and spektrum receiver.. should i just run to separate switches one to rx one to cdi or i've seen guys use BEC 's .. i dont wana say whats the cheapest but whats the most cost effective way .. i just dont want to buy junk and cost me a plane .. but yet i don't want to buy something that's overkill ..let me know what you guys think!

Welcome to the site, and congrats on your first gasser!

Your power system needs three things:

battery
switch
opto kill / ibec / ibef

These are some of the best pieces you can get:

Fromeco Badger switch - http://www.fromeco.org/Products/04FRCBADSW-420s/
Fromeco Iron Corps Extreme 6.6 LiFe battery - http://www.fromeco.org/categories/Iron_Corps_Extreme_LiFePO4_A123/Iron_Corps_Extreme_6.6_Volt
Tech Aero IBEC - http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1130077&pid=F2143792

Another option, if you don't want to buy everything separately is this combo sold by Troy Built Models: http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/TBMPOWERSYS2.html
I've got an extra one for sale that I was going to take some photos of, and list in the classifieds later today...It's the same system I have right now on my 72" Extra, I'm just keeping the IBEF.

LMK if you want it, $80 shipped via paypal.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

-Gyro

Since you are a Spketrum user, it will be hard to beat the powersafe RXs they sell. The AR9110 is the cheapest. I personally scout the used sections for these as they can be had for cheaper than a AR8000 and badger switch.

I personally use IBECs from tech aero in all of my gassers, and so do 95% of the people around me in this area. A lot of R and D went into this design and it is more cost effective than a LiFE and a opto kill.

The advantage of using the Powersafe is good power distribution and batt sharing, and also access to up to 4 satellites. When you are talking $1200 to $4500 airplanes in the gas category, it is a pretty good investment and has high resale value.

JToney

30cc
Since you are a Spketrum user, it will be hard to beat the powersafe RXs they sell. The AR9110 is the cheapest. I personally scout the used sections for these as they can be had for cheaper than a AR8000 and badger switch.

I personally use IBECs from tech aero in all of my gassers, and so do 95% of the people around me in this area. A lot of R and D went into this design and it is more cost effective than a LiFE and a opto kill.

The advantage of using the Powersafe is good power distribution and batt sharing, and also access to up to 4 satellites. When you are talking $1200 to $4500 airplanes in the gas category, it is a pretty good investment and has high resale value.

do you have a ar9100 you would get rid of? I NNEEEDDD OONNNEEE

I am still actively shopping for them. I lent one to my friend Patrick for his 330SC he resurrected with a motor box kit and I have a new one that will either go into the 89 slick or 92 edge.

JToney

30cc
hey guys, just got my 35ra and got her mounted but i'm not sure of a good place to put the throttle servo.. did i read somewhere that you can rotate the carb 180 degrees then the servo slot on the left side (looking at the front of plane) would hit just right? wheres everyone putting theirs?