• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

60" Extra 300 EXP

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Thank Bryan,
I haven't flown the bigger Lazer yet, but can't imagine life without a 60" extra.

Still learning every time I fly, but those funnel hovers look and sound just sweet.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I've been working on them and they are difficult to keep from falling out, but the little extra seems to hold them with the best of them.

wedoitall

I have yet to fly an Extra but I couldn't imagine life without my Laser. That statement is in no way a materialistic statement. The Laser truly gave me hours and hours if enjoyment. :D

Just waiting on servos that I hoped didn't get lost in the Christmas shuffle and I'll be set.

wedoitall

For some reason I have an easier time with funnel hovers with a 16x7 or even a 15x8 prop than I do my normal 16x8 xoar. I really don't have a problem with mine falling out. Sometimes with the 16x8 it wants to torque or power out of the spin. I do think that's one of the very few manuveurs that EF planes may not do as easy as some other planes. Due mainly to weight IMO. Actually that's the only one that I can think of. My EXP's will do them for sure, I just gotta be on the sticks alil more as compared to the other planes I've owned.

Having said that I've sold all my other non EF planes or in the process if selling them. Hopefully other than foamys I'll just have Extreme planes in the stable by the first if the year.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
I've been working on them and they are difficult to keep from falling out, but the little extra seems to hold them with the best of them.

I'm running the Motrolfly 4315-480 on 6s and 16x8 Xoar on mine.

I'm using the CC Ice lite 100A esc and couldn't work out why every time I updated the firmware it was giving less and less power.

Found the answer on the 3DHS threads about the CC updates being crap and rolled it back to the earlier version and it was like night and day performance enhancement. Like all new lipos all over again!! lol....

The funnel hover certainly likes power. Once I have it stable in the rotations I end up at full throttle to keep it steady or ascending height wise that is.

My 88" edge on the DA70 does them super easy, and doesn't need full throttle, but its fun when you see them climb skyward in such an energetic funnel hover as such.

Hope to get a 60" Lazer in the New Year once the boat arrives from China down under...

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I'm running the Motrolfly 4315-480 on 6s and 16x8 Xoar on mine.

I'm using the CC Ice lite 100A esc and couldn't work out why every time I updated the firmware it was giving less and less power.

Found the answer on the 3DHS threads about the CC updates being crap and rolled it back to the earlier version and it was like night and day performance enhancement. Like all new lipos all over again!! lol....

The funnel hover certainly likes power. Once I have it stable in the rotations I end up at full throttle to keep it steady or ascending height wise that is.

My 88" edge on the DA70 does them super easy, and doesn't need full throttle, but its fun when you see them climb skyward in such an energetic funnel hover as such.

Hope to get a 60" Lazer in the New Year once the boat arrives from China down under...

Same exact setup I have too... love it and runs so cool.

I had the same issues with the Ice lite 100 and resorted back... now I am having issues with the Edge lite 100, but will be selling and resorting back to a Ice lite 100 if they don't come up with a fix very soon.

Will try with more power next time out... I have always tried to nurse throttle to keep in the spin.

I will hopefully get into a 91 extra next year powered by the subsonic 50CC motor.

Would like to hear what you think of the laser vs the extra.

SnowDog

ZTW is a possible option as well if you have an issue with the Castle Ice Lite product

Last edited by a moderator:

skibum44

70cc twin V2
ZTW is a possible option as well if you have an issue with the Castle Ice Lite product

I have had great experience with castle and their CS other then the current issues... I'll just resort back to my old tried and true Ice lite 100. Thousands and thousands of flights with them. I have used ZTW products in the past but I don't care for the short wires (I know I could lengthen them but don't want to mess with that) and I love the logging feature of the Castle. I figure so much about my setup and max out the performance, especially my 12s setups, based on the numbers from the logger.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
I have had great experience with castle and their CS other then the current issues... I'll just resort back to my old tried and true Ice lite 100. Thousands and thousands of flights with them. I have used ZTW products in the past but I don't care for the short wires (I know I could lengthen them but don't want to mess with that) and I love the logging feature of the Castle. I figure so much about my setup and max out the performance, especially my 12s setups, based on the numbers from the logger.

I'd had a few issues with the larger ZTW products being not long enough in the cables and always too unsure about making them longer etc.

Never had any faults with the CC ICE products, and I find the ICE lite products really great once I found the best firmware version to deliver.

The Lite 100 is so compact and light, makes the big green brick of the ICE 100A I have in my 60" edge seem way over sized.

I run the ICE lite 100A in my 64" MXS as well, on the EF 500kV II motor on Xoar 16x7 and its wicked. That's how I figured the firmware updates were crap. I had timing issues on the MXS on the 16x7 prop. If I went from low throttle to full throttle very quickly the esc would struggle with the timing. Did some forum research and learned about the crap CC updates they were doing to try and fix the problems with the EDGE ESC's etc.

Very happy with CC ICE esc's over all, never over heated and definitely heaps of performance.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Castle is working very hard to get these issues sorted out. I had some problems with ice 100s in the past personally... But I wouldn't hesitate to put one of their new Edge controllers into a one my planes now.

If it wasn't for Castle's outstanding customer service, and their demonstrated commitment to improving their products, they wouldn't be here as a sponsor.