• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

60" Extra 300 EXP

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I've got all the airframe parts (all need some work) but I still have to purchase the Motrolfly 4315 which will be used for the powerplant.

I plan to add my repairs to this thread when I get to it.

I had a solder joint fail a while back. Did a poptop, failure right at first rotation, fell into a beautiful down line right into the grass. Missed pavement by a few feet so all but the fuse was useable. The Torque held up great and is powering my Laser. I debonded the tail feathers and found a cowl and canopy locally. Not sure if I want to go Torque, Motrolfly or Sunnysky or Airboss or Gecko? Haven't tried a Motrolfly. Have used the others- tough to beat but I never hear anything bad about the Mitrolfly. Where do you guys get the standoffs?

SnowDog

If you haven't tried a Motrolfly you need to try one on this bird! Customstandoffs.com is the best place for standoffs...Craig does a great job on them. Subsonic planes.com is where you get the Motrolfly motors...I think you will want the DM4315-480 for the Extra.

dth7

If you haven't tried a Motrolfly you need to try one on this bird! Customstandoffs.com is the best place for standoffs...Craig does a great job on them. Subsonic planes.com is where you get the Motrolfly motors...I think you will want the DM4315-480 for the Extra.

Thanks

SnowDog

Thanks Snowdog. What ESC are you using with it? BEC (10A)? I'm using 4552 Hitecs on the Extra. Went to HV on the Laser with 10A BEC.

The 85A ZTW Gecko ESC is the one I recommend (and I'm going to use) for this airframe/motor combo...unfortunately it is out of stock everywhere right now, so I would go with the 125A ZTW Gecko ESC instead. A few more dollars, but

85A ($58.99, weight: 74g)
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brushless-esc-bec/ztw-gecko-esc/ztw-gecko-series-65a-brushless-esc-w-8a-adjustable-sbec

125A ($81.99, weight: 125g)
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...eries-125a-brushless-esc-w-8a-adjustable-sbec

They both come with a stout 8A SBEC, so you don't even need an external BEC.

I have had very good experience with the ZTW ESC's.

What I *really* like about the Gecko series is the adjustable output voltage from 6v up to 8.4v!

If you don't need it "right now" you can wait and they usually come back in stock fairly quickly...

Altitude Hobbies and Quantum Hobbies (both site sponsors) carry the ZTW Gecko line and both are great to do business with.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Daren, the Gecko line is also available from Quantum Hobby right in your backyard (CT).

dth7

Daren, the Gecko line is also available from Quantum Hobby right in your backyard (CT).

Great guys. I'm in no rush as this is a backup frame and rebuild. I'll keep Quantum hobby on the front burner list. Thanks.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Guys,
got a bit of Xmas eve hucking in on the 60".

Enjoy.

[video=vimeo;82601078]https://vimeo.com/82601078[/video]

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Nice flying roger. Sweet inverted harrier spin at 1:55. The 60" extra is still my favorite plane, she begs to be thrown around and yet flies such beautiful lines.