• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I made a new plywood mount for the receiver that fit into some lightening holes in the engine box sides. It raises the receiver up away from the pipe and gives it some air gap for cooling. I also added some thin balsa to the bottom of the mount to keep the heat from directly getting to the receiver. I don't think I'll need the heat shield material.

20170309_220231_resized.jpg
20170310_224533_resized.jpg
20170310_224501_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nicely done it looks like that pipe runs a long way down the fuselage. The way you did it will not see any radiation heat but will see the general heat that the inside of the fuselage will get to while flying. Has anyone ever put a temperature gauge in fuse to see what the temperatures are.
What I do know is that at work if the control cabinets approach 130F we are going to get into problems and then it gets an air conditioner added to control the temperature to 100F.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Nicely done it looks like that pipe runs a long way down the fuselage. The way you did it will not see any radiation heat but will see the general heat that the inside of the fuselage will get to while flying. Has anyone ever put a temperature gauge in fuse to see what the temperatures are.
What I do know is that at work if the control cabinets approach 130F we are going to get into problems and then it gets an air conditioner added to control the temperature to 100F.

Yup we do they same thing at work. Well not air conditioners on them but all piped into to one central blower unit that sucks in fresh air from the outside.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yup we do they same thing at work. Well not air conditioners on them but all piped into to one central blower unit that sucks in fresh air from the outside.
We can not do that up in Canada because it gets to cold and you will not believe how well you can suck snow in electrical components. Even when close it the air will just suck snow in.

BalsaDust

lol I got hacked I guess. To be exact when I say outside I really meen our steel bay which is basically outside but has a roof and two walls. No snow can get to where our blower units are.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I got a lot of little things done today and tonight. Finished up the fuel system, throttle linkage installed the engine for real, finished the exhaust and made a bracket that wraps around the top of the pipe mount to keep it from turning.

If you compare this pic to the one a few posts earlier, you'll see the ply bracket I made to keep the pipe mount from twisting, but it's removable because I need to turn the mount so I can take it out.

20170311_204848_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Can you please elaborate on the bracket that prevents the pipe from turning. Rookie learning to install canisters. Is part of the bracket that red part that is sticking up from the bottom and bolted to the cross beam.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Can you please elaborate on the bracket that prevents the pipe from turning. Rookie learning to install canisters. Is part of the bracket that red part that is sticking up from the bottom and bolted to the cross beam.
I used a pipe mount that Troybuilt models used to sell. I like it because it's lite, easy to use, and fits any size pipe by changing the big o ring that holds the pipe. it's one downfall is since it only uses one bolt, it can turn slightly. on most planes it's not that big an issue, but this one is very tight. The red tab is the top of the mount, with the single bolt that attaches it to the plane. On this one it pokes up through the floor in the radio compartment and fastens to a cross brace. I made a piece of ply that fits around the tab and fastens to the cross brace, keeping the tab from turning at all.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I have almost everything else finished up on the fuselage so it was time to start tackling the dummy radial. The biggest challenge is going to be the push rod tubes. Since the DA crank sensor is so big I had to cut out the spot that three of the tubes go to on the crankcase. I'll need to make something to support them that will hopefully be somewhat hidden by the spinner. :(

20170312_174440_resized.jpg
20170312_203301_resized.jpg