• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hi there have a questions. Is that a DA 50 if it is what canister are you using and what is your header length.
Like the plane really looking good.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The pipe is a KS 1060. The header is stock length, but I don't remember the exact length. I ran this setup in a Aeroworks Extra with a Mejzlik 23 x 8.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I worked late last night so I didn't get much accomplished when I got home, but I did spend some time staring at it and have come to the conclusion that the receiver is way to close to the pipe. I'm going to need to raise it up some to get some gap between them. I think I'm also going to pull the pipe back out:msn_slap: and add some heat shield material between the pipe and the receiver. I'm probably going to use a product called Lava Shield. It's thin, self adhesive, and really works great as a heat barrier. I saw it on one of the car shows and recommended it to a friend because the canisters in his Carf Extra that were almost touching the wing tube. He wrapped it around the sleeve and so far it's worked great.

Getting the pipe out is kind of a project that I'm not looking forward to. You need to move the battery tray to get to the engine mount bolts, then remove the motor so you can weasel the pipe out. I'm going to try to unbolt the engine from the mounts so I don't have to mess with the battery tray, but with my luck the stand offs will turn and I'll need to move the batteries anyway.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have to agree with putting canisters in planes is convoluted and difficult. And the worst thing you have to do so many times to get it right.
This is my first time installing canisters into planes what distance or how much gap would you recommend there should be between the receiver and canister. Thanks.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I have to agree with putting canisters in planes is convoluted and difficult. And the worst thing you have to do so many times to get it right.
This is my first time installing canisters into planes what distance or how much gap would you recommend there should be between the receiver and canister. Thanks.
It's not normally an issue with a canister because their so much shorter than a tuned pipe. A pipe can be three times as long as a canister so it can end up running right underneath where you would normally mount the receiver. If you have good airflow, a couple inch gap seems to work fine, but on this one I didn't have anywhere near that, and I'm not sure how the airflow is going to workout so I'm moving it for my own peace of mind.