• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

42" Vyper Bype

SnowDog

Red or blue only for this new airframe…..no yellow I wonder why????? :D hehe

ok, I'll have to admit, the red really pops on this airframe. :thumbup:
yellow would be a close second for me...much easier to see (for me anyway) than the blue.

p.s. that's a beautiful....red airplane...in your avatar!

ok, I'll have to admit, the red really pops on this airframe. :thumbup:
yellow would be a close second for me...much easier to see (for me anyway) than the blue.

p.s. that's a beautiful....red airplane...in your avatar!

It’s all in fun, I had a yellow Pitts Python and I looked awesome against a big blue sky

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some feedback on this airplane. I won a blue Vyper Bype at the Austin Hucktoberfest, THANK YOU 3DHS! However, one of my buddies started talking about how he did not like the way it flew. I have always wanted a biplane and from watching the videos it seems straight up violent....my style!

So are there any flight updates from us normal people yet?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some feedback on this airplane. I won a blue Vyper Bype at the Austin Hucktoberfest, THANK YOU 3DHS! However, one of my buddies started talking about how he did not like the way it flew. I have always wanted a biplane and from watching the videos it seems straight up violent....my style!

3DRCForums will be conducting a build and flight review on the Byper within the next few weeks. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow!

As for the way it flies, I can't speak for/against as I haven't got a pull on one yet... BUT, I do recall when speaking to Ben about the airplane a few weeks ago, he mentioned how the importance of proper CG, having a motor in the size/weight range specified, and limiting the rudder to about 25 degrees either side of neutral. He said many times people want to max out their throws, but on the Byper, the rudder really works well when kept to the 25 degree max. I hope to have more info and advice soon.

-G

ryan_m

100cc

I'm a normal person. I can fly some decent 3d, not as good as some of the people around here, but I consider myself decent. I can drop my 71" Slick or 89" Slick right down on the deck in front of me in a low hover, drag the rudder in a harrier, and do some rollers (as long as I'm at least 30 feet high!). Not a pro, but not a newbie. All that just for some reference.
The bype is super easy to fly in non-stalled flight. It has big ailerons. It is twitchy if your rates are more than 3/4". The manual says do not use 'all you can get' throws, and it means it. I usually go for all you can get. Not with this guy. The tail is super effective too, but not as much as the ailerons. It flies well in non-stalled flight, just keep the throws down and have fun.
Stalled flight - start out up high. It has wing rock in a harrier unless you are very very smooth on the sticks. Due to the sensitivity of the controls it is very easy to over-control it and start the wings rocking. But if you are smooth it will harrier beautifully. I greatly admire the pilots I've seen in the demo videos that make it look so effortless. I can do it, but it's not nearly as easy as a monoplane. It does nice pop tops and knife edge spins too. I have a tough time with flat spins on it, either upright or inverted. Tumbles nicely. Landings are a breeze with it. Hovers are pretty easy - gentle on the controls though. Easy to overcontrol it and be 'chasing' the plane in the hover. If you like biplanes I think you will like it. If you don't like bypes, or haven't flown them before, then just don't expect them to fly quite as effortlessly as a monoplane. Bipes are not as easy, they are cool, but they are harder to fly too...

SteveT.

100cc

Just out of curiosity, since the plane is really new.....has your friend actually flown one? or just based his opinion on something he saw?

SteveT

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just out of curiosity, since the plane is really new.....has your friend actually flown one? or just based his opinion on something he saw?

SteveT

Steve... curiosity killed the cat :)
Not everyone has 10 planes NIB in their build queue :p
I'm sure his friend flew it and didn't like it for some reason.... oh well. I don't like HK planes :cool:

-G

SteveT.

100cc
Steve... curiosity killed the cat :)
Not everyone has 10 planes NIB in their build queue :p
I'm sure his friend flew it and didn't like it for some reason.... oh well. I don't like HK planes :cool:

-G

That's true....I don't either....only six...and with good reason....

And on that note.....finally got all everything ready to go for my 74" Edge, it is ready fro maiden tomorrow. Ran it up for the first time today, got 2335 watts at 79.35 amps on 8S with a Xoar carbon fiber wide "gas" prop. This is with a Hacker A60-5S motor, which of course is a 28 pole motor, so, if anybody is thinking the wattage is low, don't....as you can't compare the input wattage an 8 or 14 pole motor to a 28 pole motor.

SteveT

teookie

70cc twin V2
I flew the byper. Impression is that it's SUPER responsive. Like, ULTRA SUPER responsive especially in roll and yaw. I did a snap and wound up doing a perfect 1 and 1/4 snap because the ailerons are so fast. Looked very cool but scared me to death. Ha ha. In harrier it was rocking a little but that was totally my fault. It was my first flight with the girl and I didn't know what she likes yet. ;) A couple more flights and the rock would be gone I'm sure. Which pretty much sums up my impression of it. It is a capable plane that while being a little different than a monoplane, can certainly do all the same stuff once you get a little experience with it. No "bad tendencies", but a little different than monoplanes so expect it to surprise you a couple times.

I would love to add one to my hangar.