• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS New Products and General Plane Info/Help for Fanatics

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Slats. I don't think that the Storch had VG's. I would like to know how the VG's worked too though...I've been thinking about putting them on a Super Cub that I have been building for way too long! :ashamed:

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Slats. I don't think that the Storch had VG's. I would like to know how the VG's worked too though...I've been thinking about putting them on a Super Cub that I have been building for way too long! :ashamed:
Slats were not tried on Big Foot that I know of. Lots of tweeking surfaces but no Slats. \

VG's are interesting little devises. Joe has some on his Big foot. Are they needed, probably not. But Joe is not your average flier, and he pushes all his airframes way past their limits. Some planes feel better to him with VG's and some dont seem to matter if they have VG's or not. VGs help in slow flight to add a bit more air to the surfaces to eek out the last bit of control possible. They do nothing for people who do all there flying at speed.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Thanks Jim. I like flying low and slow so I'll probably give them a try, especially on any STOL airframes. Hopefully I will notice a difference even though I fly absolutely nothing like Joe! :)

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Thanks Jim. I like flying low and slow so I'll probably give them a try, especially on any STOL airframes. Hopefully I will notice a difference even though I fly absolutely nothing like Joe! :)

Give them a try. Only issue with them is putting the wings in wing bags, really.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Slats were not tried on Big Foot that I know of. Lots of tweeking surfaces but no Slats. \

VG's are interesting little devises. Joe has some on his Big foot. Are they needed, probably not. But Joe is not your average flier, and he pushes all his airframes way past their limits. Some planes feel better to him with VG's and some dont seem to matter if they have VG's or not. VGs help in slow flight to add a bit more air to the surfaces to eek out the last bit of control possible. They do nothing for people who do all there flying at speed.

Great discussion here: http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?380-To-Vortex-Generate-or-Not on Vortex Generation!

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Ok guys so I'm starting a shopping list. Lol. Looking to go balsa. Been flying the 40epp edge to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. 2 choices stand out in my mind at the moment. 42 slick and the 48 edge. Leaning more towards the slick only because I feel a 48in plane may be bordering on too big for the fields that we fly a lot at since they are close to home. Especially a balsa that I am not used to flying. So anyways starting to price out gear for each of them and then keep an eye on classifieds and the like for deals. So we have recommended gear for each and then there is always the alternatives. Any recommendations for alternative reliable gear that may be slightly cheaper than all the recommended. Trying to save a few bucks while doing this as we all do now and then.

Esc's thinking something ZTW for either plane. Read good things about them and they are cheaper than the hackers or airbosses or castles.

Servos - currently using the solar a107s in my edge and I do like them they seem to be very decent for what I paid for them. Was looking at the solar d654 if going slick. Haven't looked for the edge yet. Opinions? I know the hitec's are recommended and seem to be very widely used but at $25 each it adds up quick. Other choices out there that might not be $25 that aren't the solars?

Motor - pretty sure I will just go with omega 103 for slick or the 130 for the edge. They pop up on the classifieds at good prices every now and then. Have seen a few recently just didn't jump on them.

Like I said haven't completely made up my mind which plane to get but I am leaning towards the 42 since I think I will have more opportunities to fly it since I can fly it at the school that is close by. I do like the 48 but I think will have to really take that out to the flying field which is a half hour from home. Tough to make it to the field all the time with a 4 year old at home. Lol. Thanks guys.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok guys so I'm starting a shopping list. Lol. Looking to go balsa. Been flying the 40epp edge to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. 2 choices stand out in my mind at the moment. 42 slick and the 48 edge. Leaning more towards the slick only because I feel a 48in plane may be bordering on too big for the fields that we fly a lot at since they are close to home. Especially a balsa that I am not used to flying. So anyways starting to price out gear for each of them and then keep an eye on classifieds and the like for deals. So we have recommended gear for each and then there is always the alternatives. Any recommendations for alternative reliable gear that may be slightly cheaper than all the recommended. Trying to save a few bucks while doing this as we all do now and then.

Esc's thinking something ZTW for either plane. Read good things about them and they are cheaper than the hackers or airbosses or castles.

Servos - currently using the solar a107s in my edge and I do like them they seem to be very decent for what I paid for them. Was looking at the solar d654 if going slick. Haven't looked for the edge yet. Opinions? I know the hitec's are recommended and seem to be very widely used but at $25 each it adds up quick. Other choices out there that might not be $25 that aren't the solars?

Motor - pretty sure I will just go with omega 103 for slick or the 130 for the edge. They pop up on the classifieds at good prices every now and then. Have seen a few recently just didn't jump on them.

Like I said haven't completely made up my mind which plane to get but I am leaning towards the 42 since I think I will have more opportunities to fly it since I can fly it at the school that is close by. I do like the 48 but I think will have to really take that out to the flying field which is a half hour from home. Tough to make it to the field all the time with a 4 year old at home. Lol. Thanks guys.

I think you might be "overthinking" the size a little. The 42" Slick and 48" Edge will both fly at the same field... the 6" won't make that be a difference, and the 48" Edge flies plently slow, espcially on 3s with a 13x6.5 or 14x7, and works great on a commong 3s2200 pack.
Don't get me wrong, the 42" is a great airplane, and it flies like the big slicks... however some have said in the past that it is a little harder to learn on than the 48" Edge, and remember, bigger flies better.

Let me know if you want to get the 48" Edge, I have one that I got at the garage sale that I won't be building.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
The little edge flys better than the little slick in my opinion. Great airframe and the wire gear will save your butt learning harrier landings. The slicks carbon gear are very prone to $30 replacements....