• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 92" Edge 540

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Gary did you try grinding a flat spot on the end of the axle prior to drilling? Either way, you would need a good bit. I think I like the way you are doing it better in either case.
Also a small center drill to spot the hole helps. Keeps the drill from rolling off when you are trying to get the hole started.

gyro

GSN Contributor
My machinist friend across the street and I tried all the above with no luck... Oh well. The cap screws work for now :D

quadracer

100cc
Nothing personal against your friend, but if I couldn't get a 1/16" hole drilled in a 1/4" steel rod, I wouldn't call myself a machinist. It's not like they use space grade alloys for axles. LOL

gyro

GSN Contributor
Nothing personal against your friend, but if I couldn't get a 1/16" hole drilled in a 1/4" steel rod, I wouldn't call myself a machinist. It's not like they use space grade alloys for axles. LOL

yeah, we were both frustrated. I even bought a drill press so I could do it myself. No luck.

Cap screws are working great tho, so I'm happy for now. Maybe you can start a bolt drilling side business!

Even with a drill press, I was unable to drill through the steel axle. Maybe you can send me a few of the bits you're using, as it seems mine suck.

The cap screw setup pictured above is also 10g lighter per side... So extra security AND weight savings :D

I like your method gyro. I will try that in the future.
Only takes about 8 min to drill holes in the axles once you make a little jig. I put a drop of ca on the axle before drilling.
I use new drill bits but nothing special

Attachments

• edge 009.jpg
    edge 009.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 248

Yowzilla

50cc
As far as servos go..I can only go on the published numbers, but the one that is on the top of my Edge 92" build list is the Savox SV-1271SG @0.08 and 347 the numbers are good and they are advertised as water (gas?) proof with 4 seals. They also check my HV requirement for 2S lipo voltage.

As far as servos go..I can only go on the published numbers, but the one that is on the top of my Edge 92" build list is the Savox SV-1271SG @0.08 and 347 the numbers are good and they are advertised as water (gas?) proof with 4 seals. They also check my HV requirement for 2S lipo voltage.

+1 for 1271T50G and 1270TG I use 1270 in all my 50cc to 100cc planes

Status
Not open for further replies.