• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 84" Bigfoot Build Log

SnowDog

Looking good. I have a couple of the solar servos too I may try them on the wings.

Thanks James...I wasn't sure about the Solar servos at first but I've been using them with good success on my 71 Slick and I've heard reports from others that say the servos are performing well for them as well. When I tested the Solar servos at 6V I was not impressed with their torque...speed was good and so was centering, but not torque. At 7.4v the torque is much better, speed is better, and centering continues to be consistent.

Where are you at in the build of your Bigfoot?

Pretty much just started. I got the tail in and glued. The 5 solars I have all have slop out of the box I tried them on a qq yak they perform well but the slop was only noticeable on the elev. it would bob up or down on its own. I swapped the elevator for a 7954 and it's perfect. So I figure ill use them on the wings and a 7955 on the tail.

SnowDog

okay so yesterday after I posted my pics, Gary reminded me that I was going to install the flap control horns in the opposite direction from what the manual states because of geometry and servo issues that have been reported from the field using the stock setup of the flap control horns. So I needed to figure out a way to "reverse" them! After a bit of thinking and some experimenting, I came up with the following solution:

I used some extra control horns, and cut the base of them off so they would sit almost straight upright. Then I cleaned up the existing horns by scraping away the epoxy I could reach, cut them down flush with the new ones, then epoxied the new control horns in place:

DSCF1039.jpg DSCF1037.jpg

DSCF1036.jpg DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1041.jpg

Once the epoxy dries, I will probably place a small screw or two in the base of the control horn for added strength, although I think the epoxy should be quite strong on its own.

DSCF1040.jpg DSCF1042.jpg

This setup issue should be addressed and revised in the next version of the product.

SnowDog

Finally made some more progress. Installing the tail wires was a tedious process, I must admit!

first I installed the plates and the clevises:
DSCF1043.jpg DSCF1064.jpg

some of the plates (especially the top plate) needed
more bend in order to line up with the clevises on the horizontal stab tips...
out of the box, the top plates had approx a 22deg bend when then needed to be 45deg.
DSCF1048.jpg

had to tweak the plates on the bottom of the wing to reduce the angle on those from 45deg to 22deg.
DSCF1056.jpg

now the clevises and plates are installed, I can install the screw rods and begin putting on the wires:
DSCF1063.jpg DSCF1045.jpg

DSCF1062.jpg View attachment 17733

The end result:

DSCF1069.jpg DSCF1070.jpg
DSCF1068.jpg DSCF1071.jpg
DSCF1072.jpg

Next step: the motor!

Last edited by a moderator:

RC Girl

70cc twin V2
Here's a few pics of my flap set-up. I'm using Hitec Hs-7955TGs and haven't had any problems except the servo arm screw coming out a few times... don't know what that's all about...

But, I haven't flown with the flaps too much yet, so we'll see how it all holds up

Attachments

• get-attachment (1).jpg
    get-attachment (1).jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 239
  • get-attachment (2).jpg
    get-attachment (2).jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 265
  • get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 276

Sarlacc

50cc
I have a few things that may help/hinder you a little.
I have flown my foot pretty hard, and a few things I noticed was the elevator joiner failed. Actualy split away with part of the elevator attached to it. I reglued it with some heated 30 minute epoxy so it would penetrate the cracks and splinters real good. before that happened I had 3 of the 6 elevator hinges fail. I hadn't done any tail dragging, or tail touches. My door blew off, as a result of a single latch up front. I was going to replace the CA hinges with some pinned hinges, but haven't bothered yet. Someone said something about cutting some holes in the fuse or leaving a few windows out to counter the vaccum effect, but door or no door makes no difference to me. It is one less thing to bugger with when i am putting my wings on.
I run my flaps at near full diflection most of the time, and I haven't had any issues with the hinges or control horn like others have had. Time will tell on that I guess.