• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

gyro

GSN Contributor
I haven't measured my throws... What I did was set max mechanical throw, and then low mid and high rates.
My low rate aileron throw is about 45% of max

Hey guys getting ready for my maiden tomorrow. I am using motrofly 4325 motor 120 gecko esc and a castle pro bec and pulse 65c 5000 mah pack. manual states for maiden flight to use a CG of 140 mm - 155 mm from leading edge. with my lipo all the way back my CG is around 128-130mm back from leading edge. what should I do?

ryan_m

100cc
Just fly it. I gave up on actually measuring the CG point a long time ago on 3dhs planes. I build them, stick the battery about mid tray and go fly. Adjust battery as needed and fly more. On mine I think my pack is about 1.5 inches forward of the wing tube. I run a 4325 also, xoar prop, plastic ExtremeFlight spinner, BEC Pro mounted to front of firewall, and my batteries are ~760 gram 6s5300's.

ok pretty much all same except I am not using a spinner right now and I am using APC Prop. that's a pretty big difference. my lipo is right up against spar tube

gyro

GSN Contributor
ok pretty much all same except I am not using a spinner right now and I am using APC Prop. that's a pretty big difference. my lipo is right up against spar tube

Try moving it a little further forward on the maiden. You can always move it back later.

My batteries (same setup as Ryan) are about the same place as his.

ryan_m

100cc
No need to be nervous, the plane is a complete pussycat to fly, at least on low rates. On high rates it can be much more exciting!
A noseheavy plane is easier to fly and land than a tail heavy plane, so it's always best to maiden more noseheavy than tailheavy.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I don't think anyone can give you a measurement to hit your cg. Just finger balance it and get it close. You have enough control authority with a 3D plane that it will not be an issue. Don't obsess and get analysis paralysis. Double check all your radio settings. Make sure everything is going the right way (don't laugh). Then do it again. Expo, rates, etc. I like to make sure my rates are (on DX8 which has triple rates) up and down with the "crazy" 3d rate in the middle. This makes it easy to get low rate in a panic easy and no accidental madness! Makes sure the radio is set up and have a lot of room for your first flight. That should help your nerves too. Most of all just breath and enjoy the moment. I bet it is uneventful. Soon as you get it flying straight, practice a few landing approaches. Nothing worse than getting lost in the moment and running your pack out! Hope this helps a little calming the nerves.

Last edited by a moderator: