• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

35CC 3D Plane

Abrams

50cc
Throttle Servo Setup Question ?

I set up at plane with a DLE 20 last year. I read several threads that mentioned the throttle setup below.

Is this necessary on the DLE 30, 35 or any other DLE engine.

image.jpg

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
That is a good guide for any 2 stroke gas engine. I personally dont go too crazy with it though... I just tweak it with my throttle curve and end points until I like it.

dth7

I set up at plane with a DLE 20 last year. I read several threads that mentioned the throttle setup below.

Is this necessary on the DLE 30, 35 or any other DLE engine.

View attachment 22598

The geometry of the servo helps limit the amount of electronic "curving" you will need. Basically, like Nate said, you need to determine where you want the power to peak. Some like the mid power to be physically mid throttle. Others like a flat band near their "hover power". Personal preference. If you fly electric and gas having the throttles setup similar will help. Start with an even curve then tweak as necessary. Good luck.

What I have started to do is to setup my throttle just like that chart you found, then fly it and see how I like it. If I start to do the throttle curve I get the tach out.

Find peak RPM.
Get out the prop calculator I got from Pe Reivers to find out how much thrust that is. For you it will be around 20 pounds.
Figure out what the points on the curve thrust values I want. Usually I want the mid point to be hover setting, so that will be the weight of the model
Reverse engineer the RPMs needed to get that thrust.
Run the engine and using the tach set the points on the curve to those RPM settings.
Fly and tweak.

The newer Spektrum radios have 7 point curves so you can go a bit crazy tweaking all of this. Occasionally I set a throttle curve on electrics as well for hover response. All personal preference, but setting up that geometry will help a lot to get rid of the on/off power the Walbro gives on small engines.

Abrams

50cc
Thank you. That is very helpful.

I bought a good HV digital servo... I think, Hitec 7245 mini. And my radio is a DX8. I haven't messed with throttle curves yet. Looks like its time I learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can, I would go with a standard size throttle servo. Mini servos are infamous for burning up when used for that application. 5665MH are my goto servo for this. I am going to try a HK 15298 in my Aerobeez budget build and I have a Savox Gyro recommended for my Redwing when that comes in.

dth7

What I have started to do is to setup my throttle just like that chart you found, then fly it and see how I like it. If I start to do the throttle curve I get the tach out.

Find peak RPM.
Get out the prop calculator I got from Pe Reivers to find out how much thrust that is. For you it will be around 20 pounds.
Figure out what the points on the curve thrust values I want. Usually I want the mid point to be hover setting, so that will be the weight of the model
Reverse engineer the RPMs needed to get that thrust.
Run the engine and using the tach set the points on the curve to those RPM settings.
Fly and tweak.

The newer Spektrum radios have 7 point curves so you can go a bit crazy tweaking all of this. Occasionally I set a throttle curve on electrics as well for hover response. All personal preference, but setting up that geometry will help a lot to get rid of the on/off power the Walbro gives on small engines.

Thanks for chiming in Matt. Matt is much better at this than I am. I'm still learning on my first gas (DLE 35) but learning fast around these guys. Get the geometry as close as you can to a smooth curve of power relative to the stick position and fly it for a while. You'll take a while to realize what you want anyway. I'm on the second season with mine doing IMaC, 3D and XA and I'm still tweaking. Part of the game. Enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abrams

50cc
If you can, I would go with a standard size throttle servo. Mini servos are infamous for burning up when used for that application. 5665MH are my goto servo for this. I am going to try a HK 15298 in my Aerobeez budget build and I have a Savox Gyro recommended for my Redwing when that comes in.

I was a little apprehensive about using a mini servo. 3DHS actually recommends a mini servo IF you mount it in the motor box. That is what I'm going to try. The linkage will be about 3 inches long. There should be nearly zero friction and the load from the spring on the carb butterfly should be next to nothing.

I hope it works without issues.

If any mini servo is going to hold up, it is the 7245. It does save some weight up front. you can always change it later. If it is a pull type throttle you can use golden rod as your pushrod to increase vibration dampening.