• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
I believe I still have some dope laying around what would you think if I gave the plane single coat of dope sanded it and plastic coated it.

You mean put a Monokote like covering on it?

I guess, if it doesn't mess with the adhesive on the film, it would just be sealing the wood. Which would help keep smoke oils (or glow residue) from oil soaking it.

I've never tried it, just keep in mind that Nitrate is flammable.

Bipeguy03

150cc
After I sanded out the second coat of Nitrate and ran a tack rag over everything, I decided that it has enough. The wood has got that good smooth plastic like touch, so on to the fabric!

WP_20170413_001.jpg

WP_20170413_002.jpg

Rudder first, its a little time consuming but it goes on easy as pie.

WP_20170413_003.jpg

WP_20170413_004.jpg

I used the trim seal iron to heat form the Koverall around the compound curves. That is definitely the way to go. I got the fabric to lay down on the tips with no creases or wrinkles even without shrinking. After 5 coats of dope, them seams will be gone! :)

WP_20170413_005.jpg

It's a little slower, after 3 hours of work I have one elevator and the rudder done. But as I get in practice it will go faster :)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Have you ever tried to mix a little bit of talcum powder in with the nitrate or dope to hide the seams. I all ways used it, it really worked well and saved a lot of time, and smells good.
Looking good you are making think of covering and painting my 60 Sportster.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Have you ever tried to mix a little bit of talcum powder in with the nitrate or dope to hide the seams. I all ways used it, it really worked well and saved a lot of time, and smells good.
Looking good you are making think of covering and painting my 60 Sportster.

Yep I've used the talc trick, but it has given me issues before. Even the straight talc you can buy has lubricants in it. Everytime I've put talc in dope I've had problems with masking tape pulling up paint.

I'm using Sig sanding sealer now, its just got a higher solid content to make it easier to sand, and no lubricants so no more masking lift :)

Bipeguy03

150cc
Started cutting big pieces of Koverall this afternoon, and set about covering the fuselage.

WP_20170415_001.jpg

I used some masking paper to make templates, even though I have plenty of fabric, there's no need to waste it. Besides, I got something in mind for the rest of this bag of Koverall :)

WP_20170415_002.jpg

Bottom first

WP_20170415_003.jpg

And fuse it covered, and the more I use Koverall, the more I like it. Formed around the tail and cabane sheeting reinforcements better than fiberglass would have, and about ten million times better than film.

I'll shrink this up tomorrow, an get the fin covered, then its on to the wings!