• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
The fuse is all done, and I got the bottom wing covered and shrunk. I've been working on the top wing today and should have it finished this evening. After that all that's left is ailerons, then the fun part begins :)

WP_20170419_002.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
All the fabric is on and shrunk! :D

WP_20170420_001.jpg

I got the ailerons finished this evening and then doped some Japanese tissue to the aileron servo hatches and the elevator horn hatch.

Tomorrow I'll get the one coat of Nitrate on the fabric, then switch to Butyrate and start filling in the weave

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What you are doing with the covering and then ultimately the paint....is something I have "NEVER" even considered doing. With all the doping and all the sanding, is it really worth the effort? Will the finish be enough better that all the extra work is going to pay off? Please excuse my ignorance with this process. I am really just curious and am very anxious to see the final results.

Bipeguy03

150cc
It's really a matter of personal preference. I've used Monokote for years, I've used dope and fabric before, my dad has used silkspan (and he's got some for his Sig Kougar) they all have their benefits and drawbacks.

Monokote/Ultracote is A LOT faster, and nowhere near as stinky (dope smells... But I kinda like it in moderation).

BUT, Film will not last anywhere near as long, remember my Grampa's Skybolt is older than I am! Also, fabric is 10,000 times stranger. And most important, at least for me, it wont pucker when its been sitting on the flight line all day.

As for the appearance, once again its matter of preference. Dope will never have the plastic look of Film, what it will have is a semi gloss sheen that looks so good you feel the need to touch it and hold it in your hands. But yet you could paint it with a polyurethane or enamel and have that molten plastic look.

Not everyone would want to put the time into a fabric job it requires. And really, not everyone would like the results of a fabric covered airplane. Me, personally, after using Koverall, I might never use film again. :)

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
@Bipeguy, if you'll tell me where, I'll send you a piece of Stits fabric so you can see the difference between it and Koverall. Once you see how much tighter the weave is, much easier to fill, you just might not use K again.

Bipeguy03

150cc
@Bipeguy, if you'll tell me where, I'll send you a piece of Stits fabric so you can see the difference between it and Koverall. Once you see how much tighter the weave is, much easier to fill, you just might not use K again.

I've used it, don't like it on models. Stits and Ceconite fabric are exactly the same they just have a different FAA/PMA stamp, and Koverall is just an extremely light version. It's all Dacron Polyester. But even the ultra light (uncertified) fabric bought from consolidated is 1.87oz Per sq/yd. While Koverall is 1.2oz per sq/yd.

I've put uncertified fabric on a model before, and I'll never do it again. Koverall, for me at least, is just fine for models.

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
The fabrics are awesome for staying tight and not looking like a Shar-Pei puppy after being in the sun.

This pic kinda reminds me of my green Pilot Edge hatch after a day at the field.;)

View attachment 95267

Lol, my PAU Extra is the same way it drives me bonkers!

That is one of the two main reasons for fabric on the Krier, that and because its what Grampa used.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Put the coat of Nitrate on the fabric this morning, and the first coat of Butyrate on this evening. 2 more coats of Butyrate tomorrow and some sanding, then another 2 coats Sunday and it'll be about time for color :)