• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Just saw these on Facebook. ...Charlie Hillard flying the Krier Kraft.
FB_IMG_1489113336952.jpg
FB_IMG_1489113351214.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
Always enjoy seeing your craftsmanship!

Just saw these on Facebook. ...Charlie Hillard flying the Krier Kraft.
View attachment 94192 View attachment 94193

Those pictures are awesome! I can't tell you how much I appreciate having you follow along Earle, you always have really neat stuff to share!

I got the tail glued on the Krier tonight and started working on getting everything faired in and finished.

Sorry no pictures tonight, my computer is with a technician getting fixed. When I get it back I'll get some more posted. Also have some more pictures of grampa to post :)

Bipeguy03

150cc
Okay guys, no pictures of MY Krier tonight but I do have some pictures of Grampa, My dad, Me, and some of my Grampa's planes (so you guys can get a sense of the craftsman he was).

Also have some of his Air Force pictures to share. Grampa lied about his age when he was 16 to enlist and go to Korea. After Korea he flew a Convair 340 on a cargo run stateside until Vietnam and he was assigned to Special Operations. After 2 tours in Vietnam, he came home in 1971 and retired as a Master Sergeant.

Here we go!

215.jpg

During Korea, he was a flight engineer on a B-29. We always like to joke a bit about this picture, as most of the family thinks he looked like Bruce Willis when he was a young guy!

388.jpg

He flew a set route in a Convair 340 between Korea and Vietnam, it was during this time he was based at Travis AFB in California where my dad was born. Shortly after dad was born he transferred to Hanscom Field in Bedford Mass. Which was closer to home as he was from Rowley Mass.

213.jpg

A news paper clipping with a picture taken of him working on an engine.

214.jpg

Not the greatest picture but one of the most important. Grampa is in the front row, third from the left. This is a pretty important C-47 that was converted from a mail carrier during Vietnam. Grampa was the flight engineer on this particular airplane. Have an idea why it was so important? It was THE FIRST AC-47 Gunship named "Puff" after Puff the Magic Dragon. It was on this plane that he was awarded his Distinguished Flying Cross for helping to remove a flair that had been stuck in the elevator during a fire fight. The guy that crawled down the tail of the plane was awarded the Medal Of Honor.

So now some Model Airplane stuff!

384.jpg

This was taken around 1985 or 86, he was putting fuel in the Cox TeeDee that was on his Gentle Lady glider

14.jpg

15.jpg

Couple of shots of him landing his Gentle Lady. We still have the Gentle Lady, well I should say my older sister still has it :)

385.jpg

A shot of him walking the flight line a giant scale event. Not sure of what year or where it was, but I suspect it was around 1986 and at the Napoleon Ohio Giant Scale meet.

Bipeguy03

150cc
More of Grampa's other models!

1.jpg

His scratch built Whimpy from RCM plans. My dad borrowed this plane from him for a summer once and he oil soaked the snot out of it! lol

2.jpg

3.jpg

His Pietenpol Air Camper. He actually built 2 of these at the same time to prove you can built 2 airplanes as fast as you can build one.

4.jpg

5.jpg

His Senior Falcon, circa 1976.

6.jpg

7.jpg

His concept models Travel Air Biplane. Dad says that none of the pictures does this one justice, that it was just that beautiful.

9.jpg

This is his Super Buccaneer, he had built one of these as a kid as a free flight, and got a kick out of having one as an RC.

8.jpg

19.jpg

His 80 inch Sid Morgan Stinson SR-5. It took him the better part of 5 years to built this airplane, granted many others got built along the way, but really this was his first giant scale airplane as it was started in the mid 70s.

16.jpg

Field assembly of his Wendell Hostetler Skybolt, We still have the bolt, and it will get put back in the air soon.

18.jpg

17.jpg

This is his Sig Skybolt. Now I've had a couple of these (and have one started now) but his was amazing. It was covered with Koverall and dope, and only weighed 5 pounds! He had read somewhere about using un-flavored gelatin in the dope to fill the weave faster. Dad said it gave him all kinds of headaches but it worked and the airplane was crazy light... The first one I built weighed 10 pounds..... Yea, I missed it by that much lol.

11.jpg

10.jpg

This was his last model, a 1/3 scale Laser 200 that was fiberglass. Unfortunately he never got to fly it, he passed before it was finished. A friend of the family still had it up to a few years ago, but we're not sure if he still does or not.

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Just a few more then we will get back to the Krier Kraft for a while.

12.jpg

Can't forget the Full Scales! This was his 1940 Luscombe 8C Deluxe. His was technically changed to an 8A when he put the Continental A65 on it as the original C's have a C-75. The Deluxe was because of the shock mounted instrument panel that has a molded in hump on the top center for the compass. Grampa's Luscombe N28442 was the first Luscombe ever to be certified with wheel pants and is even in the Luscombe history book we have.

Dad now has another 1940 8C Deluxe that is a true C with the C75, Matter of fact it's the only true C registered in the state of Ohio! And he even managed to get the N number changed to N28441 :)

13.jpg

Yep, that little dude is me! Back when my dad was actually taller than me lol, I want to say this is no later than 1990 which means I would have been only 3 at the time. And Grampa's Luscombe still looks good!

dads luscombe 2.jpg

Dad's Luscombe today, sooner or later it will get the exact same paint scheme as grampa's. And one day I'm going to build the 1/3 scale model I designed and it will have the same scheme too!

387.jpg

Dad might shoot me for this one, but this is him around 1974 or 75, would make him about 13 at the time and his favorite RC ever a Sig Kougar. He's go another one of these in my shop I need to finish for him.

20.jpg

Dad's model room after grampa had passed and he had most of his stuff... The Nosen Citabria Dad built, and he says he can't build :)

The last 2 Pictures are my favorite as I find them kind of striking. Dad had a Bridi Dirty Bird and one day he was having trouble getting the engine running and a friend snapped a picture of grampa getting it started as dad watched. Flash Forward 30+ years and what do you know, a friend snapped a picture of Dad helping me get my Ultimate running while I watched.

386.jpg

10628606_1541178169436341_4913106230127726029_n.jpg

History always repeats itself. :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just a few more then we will get back to the Krier Kraft for a while.

View attachment 94238

Can't forget the Full Scales! This was his 1940 Luscombe 8C Deluxe. His was technically changed to an 8A when he put the Continental A65 on it as the original C's have a C-75. The Deluxe was because of the shock mounted instrument panel that has a molded in hump on the top center for the compass. Grampa's Luscombe N28442 was the first Luscombe ever to be certified with wheel pants and is even in the Luscombe history book we have.

Dad now has another 1940 8C Deluxe that is a true C with the C75, Matter of fact it's the only true C registered in the state of Ohio! And he even managed to get the N number changed to N28441 :)

View attachment 94239

Yep, that little dude is me! Back when my dad was actually taller than me lol, I want to say this is no later than 1990 which means I would have been only 3 at the time. And Grampa's Luscombe still looks good!

View attachment 94244

Dad's Luscombe today, sooner or later it will get the exact same paint scheme as grampa's. And one day I'm going to build the 1/3 scale model I designed and it will have the same scheme too!

View attachment 94241

Dad might shoot me for this one, but this is him around 1974 or 75, would make him about 13 at the time and his favorite RC ever a Sig Kougar. He's go another one of these in my shop I need to finish for him.

View attachment 94240

Dad's model room after grampa had passed and he had most of his stuff... The Nosen Citabria Dad built, and he says he can't build :)

The last 2 Pictures are my favorite as I find them kind of striking. Dad had a Bridi Dirty Bird and one day he was having trouble getting the engine running and a friend snapped a picture of grampa getting it started as dad watched. Flash Forward 30+ years and what do you know, a friend snapped a picture of Dad helping me get my Ultimate running while I watched.

View attachment 94242

View attachment 94243

History always repeats itself. :)
Oh heck yeah it does. It's a definite privilege to watch your craftsmanship. No doubt your dad and granpa had a direct influence on that. Way to go!!!