• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

WMcNabb

150cc
Right!?? I need to do some paint touch up on the landing gear, the wheel pants are cracked, and I need to patch the bottom right wing tip and fix a broken cabane, outside of that it could be flown. And will be flown.

I keep thinking of grampa, he hated seeing models sit around, and would have his foot so far up my backside I'd be a able to taste his knee if he knew his Bolt had been sitting for 15 years. lol With that thought when the Krier is done, I'm gonna patch up the Bolt and get her flying again. It will be relegated to perfect nights only and will only do some loops and rolls but she will take to the skies again!

That's fantastic news!! I know that would make your grandpa proud. Might even bring a tear to his eye.

Can't wait to see photos of the Krier and the Skybolt at the field together. Maybe even with your Pitts!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_1371.JPG
That Skybolt is awesome!
Do you mean one of these, I have had this one for a while it has 120 four stroke init. Love the plane and flys well. Have all ways been on the lookout for 50 or 70 cc size one.

Pancake

50cc
So I'll give you one more blast from the past lol.

As I'm sure you guys remember I told ya we still have grampa's Wendell Hostetler Skybolt, built in 1982-1983. Well the other night I had it out looking at it to get ideas on what to make my elevator push rod out of, and today after I was done cleaning I decided to clean up the 'ole Bolt to... After I cleaned it I just had to bolt (get it?) together.

So here it is, grampa's THIRTY-FOUR YEAR OLD Skybolt!

View attachment 94372

Yes that is THIRTY-FOUR, yep 3-4 year old dope... Not paint, DOPE!!

View attachment 94373

View attachment 94375

The leather cockpit combing was stitched on, and the windshield has a molded frame.

View attachment 94376

Wing fillet is a little beat up after 34 years but still fits like a glove.

View attachment 94374

Access door for the fuel and smoke filler ports.

View attachment 94378

The filler ports have little caps and a piece of yarn to hold them together so they don't get lost.

This Airplane is the reason why I consider grampa a Master Builder, I know I'm bias but I mean, this airplane is 34 years old can you imagine what it looked like brand new? If my Krier turns out 1/16th as nice as grampa's Bolt I'll be over the moon! lol
I'm surprised you aren't flying his beautiful machine! I see why you hold him in such high regard! Besides being your grandpa lol!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 94382
Do you mean one of these, I have had this one for a while it has 120 four stroke init. Love the plane and flys well. Have all ways been on the lookout for 50 or 70 cc size one.
I remembered I had a picture of the one RC City used to sell many years ago so I thought I would post it, then I saw they sold a Krier Kraft too!

I think these might have been fiberglass fuse airplanes but I'm not sure. RC City sold fiberglass pattern plane kits. I'm not sure, but if these were glass, I think a guy I know could possibly have the molds for them. He bought most of RC City's stuff a few years back.

Skybolt.jpg
Krier Kraft.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
I remembered I had a picture of the one RC City used to sell many years ago so I thought I would post it, then I saw they sold a Krier Kraft too!

I think these might have been fiberglass fuse airplanes but I'm not sure. RC City sold fiberglass pattern plane kits. I'm not sure, but if these were glass, I think a guy I know could possibly have the molds for them. He bought most of RC City's stuff a few years back.

View attachment 94383 View attachment 94384

Well I do know there was a Fiberglass Krier Kraft available at one time, there was even one for sale on FG not too long ago. That RC City one is exactly the same size as mine.

Krier Krafts and Skybolts... I guess they really do just go hand in hand! Lol

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Please understand I am no skybolt expert but when you look at the two pictures and the wing span comparison there is a differences in span. And tail outline is different which one is correct scale outline. I must say I prefer the one with the rounded rudder (top one).

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Please understand I am no skybolt expert but when you look at the two pictures and the wing span comparison there is a differences in span. And tail outline is different which one is correct scale outline. I must say I prefer the one with the rounded rudder (top one).
The second one is a Krier Kraft.