• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Lastly....(maybe)......little did I realize, back when I was a young lad tagging along with Dad and my brother to airshows, that I would someday be involved in competition aerobatics. My connection with the late Harold Krier culminated in 1988 with the honor of having my name engraved on the IAC Unlimited Champion trophy bearing Harold's name, along side many aerobatic legends! this trophy resides in the EAA museum at Oshkosh.

Now....back to your regularly scheduled programming!!!
Me with Krier Cup - LR.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
@Pistolera, thank you so much for sharing some really cool stuff! I'm very grateful to have you following and contributing to my build thread.

It's pretty amazing seeing how much Harold meant to so many people, (including my grampa) it is almost a little surprising that his airplanes aren't modeled more often. Maybe I'll have to change that.

There maybe plans for a Great Lakes in my future ;)

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
You're welcome! A Great Lakes would be very cool, and a rarely modeled bipe. My Dad taught me basic aerobatics in a modern Great Lakes (Lycoming powered). Growing up he had one with a 185hp Warner radial, but that was before my flying adventures began.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You know? This is the "prime" reason why I like this site so much. Everyone is always so darned decent and respectful and helpful. The notion of the true passion for this hobby shines brilliantly with the continued air that was breathed into this site upon its inception. Offering suggestions, asking for advice and everyone truly getting involved with each other's little projects. Kind of like a close knit brotherhood. Fantastic photos and input Earle. I think I enjoyed seeing them way too much. I'm now considering another old time Bipe build. Lol.... I've always had a warm fuzzy tingle inside for a true scale Super Stearman. At any rate, this Krier is fantastically gorgeous. Can't wait to see it with some clothes and color.:banana-dance:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well after a couple of time consuming setbacks I finally started putting Monokote on my buddy's Extra tonight.

Luckily it is a very simple red/white and blue scheme so I should have it done and back to working on the Krier in about a week. Thank goodness, this Extra is starting to get to me a little bit lol

Bipeguy03

150cc
The Krier is back on my bench!!!

Now that the covering is FINALLY done on my buddies Extra and while I'm waiting for him to get the servos, paint and all the other goodies bought so I can finish it up I got to get back to work on the Krier Kraft.

With the wings all but finished and ALL of the major components for the Krier either framed up or in the roughed out stages I decided I'm going to finish the plane from the tail forward. So once the empinage is finished I'll move forward to the deck, then radio, then firewall so forth.

I started by tapering the rudder and elevators with my razor plain, a sanding block and a whole lot of patience. I decided after looking at the pictures of grampa's that they needed to be tapered cord wise so that they didn't look like a huge brick on the tail. I then got them hinged using the Dubro hinges and a length of piano wire for a hinge pin.

353.jpg

354.jpg

Next I set about making the elevator joiner and horn. I want the horn to be inside the fuse just as grampa's was so it is made out of 2 pieces of .032 Chromalloy and brazed to the center of the joiner. I rigged up a really quick jig to hold the parts together. I wanted the horn to have about a 10 degree forward rake to ensure the pushrod connection would be as close to the pivot point as possible.

355.jpg

356.jpg

The 2 pieces allow me to use a 4-40 swivel link bolted between them, hopefully this makes it stronger, because it sure was a pain in the backside to get it to go into the fuse!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Next up was to start to get the stab fit to the fuse and get a relief made for the elevator control horn. Boy this turned out to be fun! But I definitely think it was worth the hassle!

In order to have enough room between the fuse sides for the horn I ended up having to move the stab forward in the fuse, basically butting it right up the rear turtle deck bulkhead, this moved the stab forward just over 1/2 of an inch. To accomplish this I had to remove the filler block without totally destroying the last bulkhead, which I managed to do barely.

357.jpg

Filler block removed and stab pushed forward over 1/2 inch to allow the relief cut to be made for the elevator horn. The Fin and rudder are just pinned in position.

359.jpg

360.jpg

I then cleaned up the filler block and pinned it back in place, I should be able to use the same block but I've decided to not glue it back on until I glue the stab in place.

358.jpg

After I got the stab moved forward and the relief figured out I started on an access hatch to allow me to get into the horn when the airplane it finished for inspection and maintenance.

361.jpg

Now it's time for the tailwheel block, and as I'm looking at this picture I realize that I have stringers that are not of equal length...... Guess I know what the first task tomorrow is! :D

362.jpg

Tailwheel on and the tail pinned together, Finally the thing will sit completely on landing gear and no boxes! lol

363.jpg

364.jpg

Better looks at the joiner and control horn. Once I glue the tail on I will put a filler block to take up some space between the joiner/horn assembly and the rudder post. If I ever have to replace the horn or the joiner, that filler block would have to be cut out, but lets hope that never happens!

365.jpg

Elevator horn Access hatch finished, I may counter sink those screw holes and use flush head screws but we'll see, it is made of an awfully thin piece of mahogany.

366.jpg

Hatch removed to see the horn. I will put a piece of sheet balsa between the stingers on the other side of the fuse with a small hole drilled in it at just the right spot so that I can get an allen wrench on the bolt head.