• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Next up was to start to get the stab fit to the fuse and get a relief made for the elevator control horn. Boy this turned out to be fun! But I definitely think it was worth the hassle!

In order to have enough room between the fuse sides for the horn I ended up having to move the stab forward in the fuse, basically butting it right up the rear turtle deck bulkhead, this moved the stab forward just over 1/2 of an inch. To accomplish this I had to remove the filler block without totally destroying the last bulkhead, which I managed to do barely.

View attachment 94038

Filler block removed and stab pushed forward over 1/2 inch to allow the relief cut to be made for the elevator horn. The Fin and rudder are just pinned in position.

View attachment 94040

View attachment 94045

I then cleaned up the filler block and pinned it back in place, I should be able to use the same block but I've decided to not glue it back on until I glue the stab in place.

View attachment 94039

After I got the stab moved forward and the relief figured out I started on an access hatch to allow me to get into the horn when the airplane it finished for inspection and maintenance.

View attachment 94048

Now it's time for the tailwheel block, and as I'm looking at this picture I realize that I have stringers that are not of equal length...... Guess I know what the first task tomorrow is! :D

View attachment 94049

Tailwheel on and the tail pinned together, Finally the thing will sit completely on landing gear and no boxes! lol

View attachment 94050

View attachment 94051

Better looks at the joiner and control horn. Once I glue the tail on I will put a filler block to take up some space between the joiner/horn assembly and the rudder post. If I ever have to replace the horn or the joiner, that filler block would have to be cut out, but lets hope that never happens!

View attachment 94052

Elevator horn Access hatch finished, I may counter sink those screw holes and use flush head screws but we'll see, it is made of an awfully thin piece of mahogany.

View attachment 94053

Hatch removed to see the horn. I will put a piece of sheet balsa between the stingers on the other side of the fuse with a small hole drilled in it at just the right spot so that I can get an allen wrench on the bolt head.
Wow! Pretty.... seriously pretty construction.

Bipeguy03

150cc
With the tail just about ready to be glued in, and tweaking on the stingers I pinned her together to double and triple check the shape..... And cause I haven't seen it put together in a month lol.

First off, the new 5 inch Dubro Big Wheels look so much better in the wheel pants than the smaller 4.5" Low Bounce Dubros that I religated to my friend's Extra. Yes those are FIVE inch wheels in them pants, and I still have plenty of room for mounting hardware, Grampa loved big wheels, and made big wheel pants to match! The Big Wheels are almost 2 inches wide where the smaller wheels were barely an inch wide. The Big Wheels are air filled so I need to buy a football pump...... And keep Tom Brady away from them ;)

367.jpg

It's so nice to see it sitting on all three wheels!

368.jpg

For anyone that gets tired of seeing the same rear quarter shot this is why I take so many of them. The picture below is my favorite picture of grampa's Krier Kraft. It is the picture that Don Anderson of Great Planes took when he saw it (and could be why the paint scheme wound up on the Super Aeromaster) so the closer I get mine to look like this picture the HAPPIER I'll be.

48.jpg

And I think I'm getting close.

372.jpg

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Looking good brother. :way_to_go:

What's up with your Grampa's elevator? Looks like his has boost tabs!

View attachment 94062

Yep, Grandpa's had boost tabs on all of the control surfaces. He flew his Krier with Standard Size servos, 1980 standard size servos. Anolog, nylon gears and only about 40oz of torque so they were a necessity. He never stalled one with the boost tabs!

I'm not going to put them on mine. While it would be awesome, with today's servos they just aren't needed. I may simulate them with some pen stripes when I get to painting though!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Yep, Grandpa's had boost tabs on all of the control surfaces. He flew his Krier with Standard Size servos, 1980 standard size servos. Anolog, nylon gears and only about 40oz of torque so they were a necessity. He never stalled one with the boost tabs!

I'm not going to put them on mine. While it would be awesome, with today's servos they just aren't needed. I may simulate them with some pen stripes when I get to painting though!

Oh yes. Now I remember you saying something about that earlier in the thread.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Spent this evening finishing up the elevator joiner/control horn and getting ready to glue the stab in finally.

374.jpg

I made some bearings for the joiner out of .032 brass strap and cut some slots in the stabs to mount them.

375.jpg

I put some 7/32" brass tube in the elevator that will slip fit the 3/16" joiner wire. This is so I don't have to glue the joiner into the elevator.

376.jpg

Slide the hinge pin out and the elevator will come off while leaving the joiner/horn attached to the stab.

378.jpg

379.jpg

What it looks like all put together.

380.jpg

381.jpg

Getting the stab saddle set and ready to glue the stab in. I got it trammeled to less than 1/16 of an inch and have less than a 1/4 degree of positive incidence. Good enough for me so tomorrow the tail gets glued on!

382.jpg

A small piece of sheeting was put between the stringers and a hole drilled in it so a 4-40 bolt will pass through it. This is so I can get the bolt in and out of the elevator control horn. I have to put the elevator in the full up position to get to the bolt, otherwise the hole would have to have been in the middle of a stringer and I didn't want that.

383.jpg

That's a lot of junk in such a small space! lol