• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion What Airframe would you buy if you had a DLE55 to motivate it?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I will say very few fly like an extreme flight or a 3dhs plane. Also, you get what you pay for.

I agree.... BUT. The new vendors are coming on STRONG. My RedwingRC Extra looks and flies awesome, and so does my Aeroplus Edge. The leaders have more company at the top now.

AKfreak

150cc
I agree.... BUT. The new vendors are coming on STRONG. My RedwingRC Extra looks and flies awesome, and so does my Aeroplus Edge. The leaders have more company at the top now.

I see you are team Redwing RC now, is that new? If so, Congrats! Yep, Tim is doing amazing things, his company seems to be an up and comer these days. I hope Tim keeps his products in the same price range for a very long time. I think his prices are where all of the top manufacturers should be. I think the big three charge way too much for their planes, and Redwing has to be taking some of that business away. All I can say is good for Redwing

I would love to see a Redwing plane win at a major event, (TAS, XFC, SEFF, King 50, ect...). That would really be somthing, not to mention help to skyrocket his business, the future is bright for Redwing. I hear many people speak to their great customer service. I have bought stuff from them, I got a good deal, it came to me quickly, and the stuff worked as advertised. It's hard to beat that.

My last plane purchase was a difficult choice, and Redwing almost got the money. I would love to see a Redwing 30% and 35% Edge 540 V3. I wonder why they haven't ever offered an Edge.

Also I agree AeroPlus is one to look out for. That V3 Edge you have is the best looking 3D plane on the market in my opinion. Having watched videos of that plane, it looks amazing in the air. Had my DA 50 been able to push that 92" version I would of bought it. I said it before, and Ill say it again, I will own an AeroPlus 120cc Edge 540 V3 and a GP 123. The AeroPlus new Extra looks nice too.

There is somthing for everyone, and in the end it's all about having fun.

I have had this discussion a few times with a few people in the last 2 weeks for some reason. I have a 90" aerobeez extra, which I am assuming is similar to the redwing. It is over 18 pounds and built out tail heavy, so a light DLE-55 is not a good idea.

The Aeroplus is designed around 60cc like the other new generation planes.

IMHO you need to get the plane 17 pounds or less to get XA performance. Of the planes I have flown or seen this is my list of choices.

3DHS 87" SHP. It has bigger control surfaces than the Redwing.

Redwing 87" slick. Mine with a heavier motor and pipe is still 16 pounds.

Pilot-RC edge. Patrick has one around 17 pounds and it flies very nice.

I own a 88" EF edge and it was not that great on my GT60. I think you would have to pipe the 55 to get the performance you want, and for that money you could trade up to a 60cc motor.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks AKf, supporting Redwing was an easy choice for me.
[MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION], the RedwingRC Extra is similar, but also different than the Aerobeez. I like the Redwing better personally... But for a DLE55, their Slick is easily the lightest offering from the major 3D vendors.

SnowDog

Gary did you ever take an AUW of your RWRC 50cc Extra?

Mine feels really light, even with the GP61 on it.

AKfreak

150cc
The 83" EF MSX with a DA 50 is 14 lbs. I know the wing loading is a but higher than on lets say an edge, but a 14 lb 50cc plane is insane.

I keep wanting to put a DLE-120 or something like it on a Aeroworks 75cc Extra. I know it will fit inside the cowling. It has the same wing area as a EF 91 extra and it will be stupid powered, but probably with a higher wing loading.

With a DLE-55 you are working with 30 pounds of thrust or so, hence where my 17 pound limit comes in.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
My main reason for this thread was to see if there were any companies I wasn't familiar with. So far only 1 has popped up that I haven't looked at before. I'm thinking I might go with the redwing as i haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Haven't heard alot of good about 3dhs customer service and they all seem to over charge on shipping. One reason I was thinking a pilot yak is I like the yak look and I could go for a day drive and save on shipping. But for a few bucks more the redwing will be delivered.

How is the wood quality in the redwing compared to say pilot? I know my cousin isn't real impressed with the wood quality of his eg slick but he has flown the **** out of it

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a EG Raven that I flew with a DLE-55. That a pretty good combo. I was not wanting for power. There are a lot of planes sold by general hobby and similar sites that are old designs rehashed. I keep eyeing up the Sukhoi 26 V2s that a few of these sites have. They made the control surfaces bigger and add SFGs so at least they are trying.

I had a Pilot Yak-54 in 30cc. The basics are that it does some things very well like rolling maneuvers, but there are some spots where it does weird things in certain speed ranges and attitudes. These are the things that 3DHS and EF tweak out. The quality on Pilot is very high though. Up there with Aeroworks.

AKfreak

150cc
My main reason for this thread was to see if there were any companies I wasn't familiar with. So far only 1 has popped up that I haven't looked at before. I'm thinking I might go with the redwing as i haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Haven't heard alot of good about 3dhs customer service and they all seem to over charge on shipping. One reason I was thinking a pilot yak is I like the yak look and I could go for a day drive and save on shipping. But for a few bucks more the redwing will be delivered.

How is the wood quality in the redwing compared to say pilot? I know my cousin isn't real impressed with the wood quality of his eg slick but he has flown the **** out of it

You know Pilot does something that is amazing, and I wish everyone else would do the same. If you ever have a crash on a Pilot, they will cut you the wood pieces for free to fix your plane. Also they will sell you the pre-cut covering at cost. I just think that is an incredible piece of customer service.