• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
I use .040 for vacuum forming because it thins out as it is stretched over the plug, actually ordered a couple of sheets of .060" the make canopies for my One Designs because .040 thins out too much. .020" is just too thin for a large flat windshield so .030 or .040 is what I would use. If you can buy from McMaster Carr then it is only a few dollars per sheet so I would order both.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I use .040 for vacuum forming because it thins out as it is stretched over the plug, actually ordered a couple of sheets of .060" the make canopies for my One Designs because .040 thins out too much. .020" is just too thin for a large flat windshield so .030 or .040 is what I would use. If you can buy from McMaster Carr then it is only a few dollars per sheet so I would order both.
Thanks for all the help 0.030 is on order 2 sheets let’s see how it goes.
You can also order PETG off of amazon.
Looked on Amazon but it is quite a bit more expensive but also could not get the correct size, thanks for the help

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
A6EA3226-316E-4255-B47B-B864098EC199.jpeg

Well finished of the 2 top access hatch’s just to do something different. Magnets hold both down which should give me quick access to the inside of the plane. Also finished of the elevators they are now down and covered ready to be installed.

TonyHallo

150cc
No problem Snoop.
Pulled the nosewheel pant out of the mold. 1 layer of 2 ounce cloth and 1 layer of four ounce cloth, these were laid up and trimmer while green flush to the mold. After curing the inner surface was lightly sanded with 80 grit. Six ounce KEVLAR was fitted 1/4" below the part line one one side of the mold, the opposite side was fitted so that the KEVLAR extended beyond the mold by at least 1/2" except in the fin area. Both halves were wetted and assembled wet with filled epoxy sealing the perimeter and fin area, the overlap was then wetted across the parting line. The pant weights 66 grams while the commercial one weighted 64 grams. I used a lot of epoxy on the the overlap just because access hole is on the small side, I do plan to make it larger if I build another Cherokee.
Pulled the second yoke out, I used lighter fairing filler power for this one, came out 10 grams verses 14 grams for original. The dash from the original is show below, will need to get a new one made to accommodate the yokes and wider cabin. Thinking about how to make the dash pad look a little better. If I could use Fusion 360 for more than making a square box, would make for a nice 3D print project

IMG_3079.jpg
IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

1966-piper-pa-28-140-cherokee-2.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
To mount the nose pant, .100 thick disc were silver brazed to both sides of the fork, these were drilled tapped for 4-40 threads. 3/4" aircraft plywood disc were counterbored to allow the the dipping washers to push the pant material into the counterbore of the plywood with a epoxy/milled fiber mixture. The mounting is similar to the full scale.
s-l960 (2).jpg
IMG_3082 (2).jpg
IMG_3085 (1).jpg
IMG_3083 (1).jpg
IMG_3084 (1).jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
To mount the nose pant, .100 thick disc were silver brazed to both sides of the fork, these were drilled tapped for 4-40 threads. 3/4" aircraft plywood disc were counterbored to allow the the dipping washers to push the pant material into the counterbore of the plywood with a epoxy/milled fiber mixture. The mounting is similar to the full scale.View attachment 122260View attachment 122261View attachment 122262View attachment 122263View attachment 122264
That is one good looking wheel parts. Nice work.

TonyHallo

150cc
The last two molds until the fuselage is painted and ready to mold. Making a mold for the main wheels so that that they will get laid up with KEVLAR, plan to put the hard points in while laying up the pants, one right, one left. The other plug is the revised main gear fairing. Have the Champ wings on the bench as well.

IMG_3088 (1).jpg