• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
Wet sanded the wing tip this morning and started waxing. Doing a little plumbing job at my daughter's and between tool stops and Lowe"s visits managed to get the tip and stab tip mounted and lined with clay . Dusted 4 coats of PVA then a final wet coat. Headed out to bar bingo, might get the tooling coat on this evening.

IMG_3030.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Pulled the stab skin mold off the plug. Now the waxing begins. The PVA is still on the mold in the photo below. I wet sanded the corrugations with 1500 and finer and then put the first coat of wax on. Thinking one layer of 2 ounce and one layer of 4 once, then evaluate the stiffness. With the corrugations it may be OK. Bought some peel ply so this will be my first experience with using it. Also hoping the vacuum pulls all the cloth down into the corners, we shall see.

IMG_3040.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Have the nose wheel pant roughed out. I used a pant from the first 30% that survived the crash. Little bit of sawing, foam and filler, a whole lot of sanding. This is the first coat of primer so it needs filled and sanded a few more times.
Have the stab tip and the rudder ready for the second side.
The wing tips plugs need primed and it's getting cold here. I have been spraying the tips outside then bring them into the garage to dry. They are too big to spray inside the house.
IMG_2187.jpg
IMG_3041.jpg
IMG_3043.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Pulled the wing skin out of the mold today. This is 2 ounce and 4 ounce cloth. Not quite stiff enough for my liking. I would work great on a solid foam core but not foam rib construction. The weight is 81 grams currently. Going to add another layer of 4 ounce cloth that should put the weight around 130 grams. My gauge here is the weight of 1/8" balsa that is shown on the plans, 10 lb balsa would weight 107 gram si it is in the ball park. The peel ply came off great and I'm happy how the joints came out between the corrugations and the skin, I did speed extra time with a wall paper roller pushing the glass into the corners. Hopefully the additional 4 ounces provides the stiffness if not I will consider making the stab foam core.
IMG_3046.jpg

Last edited: