• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
The weather was great today in the Burg. Sprayed three coats of primer on the fuselage today. Have a lot of work to do! No need for guide coat, flaws are visible at this point. If all goes well I will block sand and put more primer on tomorrow.

IMG_2958.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Block sanded the fuselage this morning with Durablocks and 220 dry paper. I'm thinking it is about 95% at the point. Most of the areas where the glass cloth overlapped are gone. A couple of low areas still exist that should be filled with the primer. I'll hit those first before priming the entire fuselage. Funny thing this primer is Rustoleum automobile primer out of a gallon can, it sands so much better than the rattle can automobile primer.

IMG_2959.jpg
Rain until 1300 today, hope to lay down three more coats after the rain quits.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
What do you use as a guid coat. I have all ways used grey and white primer over one another.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok question do you just keep sanding till the black is gone. Or just sand enough to show all the imperfections, spot putty sand and then another coat of primer and start again.

TonyHallo

150cc
Yes, that is ideal. Here's a quick patch this morning, you can see the low spots in the middle of the area and the black line in the upper left side where the cloth overlapped. More sanding and they both disappear On the large areas I'm using 1/2 sheet size Durabloc with 220 wet paper. So far the not need for spot putty but I still need to do the right side and the bottom

IMG_2964.jpg
IMG_2965.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok you and I do the same thing just keep sanding until it is all smooth and flat with out going into the glass.
How do you like the DuraBlock is it worth money and does it work well. Always looking at them but always think for the round shapes of a cowl and contours that we have that it is to stiff, is my impression right or wrong.