• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
The house settled in 1965 thirty years before we bought it. This was disclosed during the purchase. There's a 40' long 1" bolt that runs thru my garage that ties the front and rear walls together. The one corner of the basement is about 2 1/2" low.

TonyHallo

150cc
Can’t believe the time and effort you put into building a scale plane. Wish I had the patience and also the tools. Enjoy watching you build a plane.
Thanks Snoopy, the Cherokee is by far my most favorite airplane. I actually can't wait to get back at it in the morning. I have another project at my brother's home that's keeping me away from it now, actually enjoy coming back home for more tools so I can check it out.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The house settled in 1965 thirty years before we bought it. This was disclosed during the purchase. There's a 40' long 1" bolt that runs thru my garage that ties the front and rear walls together. The one corner of the basement is about 2 1/2" low.

I not serious, just internet banter.

TonyHallo

150cc
Put the first wrap of 2 ounce glass cloth on the fuselage, after a day or two this will get sanded and second layer installed. Working with 24 hour cure hardener so it takes a while to fully harden to where the sandpaper will not clog. Started working on the rudder. Once the rudder is installed I may be at the point where I'm waiting for warmer weather to prime and paint

IMG_2923 (2).jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok just asking and not questioning, 2oz cloth it surprised me when I read a second layer of 2 oz cloth. I have covered a few planes 3/4 oz but never believed it was enough just good for painting. But have glassed a plane will 1 1/2 oz cloth and believed it to be sufficient. Just trying to understand the reasoning for 2 layers.

TonyHallo

150cc
This is a plug so weight is of no concern. Looking for enough glass so there's no worry of sanding through and provide a little strength while block sanding. At least that's what's my thought process is.

TonyHallo

150cc
Added the leading edge, tip and the curved section at the bottom of the fin, one side is glassed. Used excess resin and allowed it to soak it to harden the balsa for cutting in the corrugations. Hopefully that works.

IMG_2931 (1).jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
This was the first time I did the dorsal off the fuselage, it was much easier to sand to shape rather than on the fuselage. You may want to try it on your future builds. Sanding the dorsal area and hinging are two of my least favorite tasks.
Put the glass on the opposite side this morning, might try corrugations tomorrow. Still glassing the fuselage, should be done glassing tomorrow.