• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Video...Drilling holes accurately in wood

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'm not arguing the benefit of a brad point bit, I'm trying to put info out there that says you can do this with what you have. Like Terry's vacuum bagging video, if I'm trying to get someone to try their first build then I'm not going to tell them the only way to do the wings is by vacuum bagging (I'm not saying anything bad about vacuum bagging or Terry's video, I got a lot out of it and will probably try bagging at some point), I'm going to encourage them to grab the pile of bricks they have in the yard and a piece of plywood and use the weight to attach the skins.

A drill bit might not keep someone from getting started on a project but the theme you'll see in my videos will be simplicity and using what you have so that new builders won't feel like they have to build out an entire shop before they can build their first kit. It's a problem that plagues full-scale builders, they build elaborate jigs for every little operation and then never get the project finished.

Also, when I post something, I'm not trying to be the expert, I'm just the guy who is saying here's one way of doing it. I fully expect you guys to chime in with other ways and that's how the conversations will get moving and people will see what their options are.

fwiw guys, standard drill bits that are kept sharp and spun at the right speed are not exactly bad technique.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
No flame suit, this is not FG;)

Everything you show is completely relevant to other bits except for the number of bits. I've always had a horrible time sharpening standard bits so I normally consider them disposable. What do you use to keep yours sharp?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I have a Drill Doctor, very easy and very quick to sharpen bits. I did use a lot of bits in that video, I probably overdid it a bit. :)

I'll have to pick up a few brad-point bits for when I'm drilling wood, when I've bought them individually in the past they've gone dull and I just never bothered to replace them. I've got forstner bits, spade bits, and every size standard bit a guy could want but no brad points.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
No flame suit necessary! I love the comments on here and how we share without attacking each other, exact reason I left that other site and won't go back!

I agree with you that adapting the tool you have to do the job is an important skill to learn. And sharing those ideas with others is a wonderful thing. All those little tips and techniques we pick up over the years should be shared.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Tell me about the Drill Doctor, I tend to just buy new bits rather than sharpen them. I will sharpen my forstner bits and spade bits, but the twist bits just go in the trash when they get dull/worn.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i have the first version of the deluxe model, bought it for my dad and when he never used it I repossessed it. :)

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Hmmm, that is a good idea. I bought one for my dad. Not sure if he uses it that much. Might be repo time.