• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Video...Drilling holes accurately in wood

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Did a quick video to demonstrate how to accurately drill holes in wood with a hand drill.

My Porter Cable cordless drill doesn't have a very high RPM range so when it really matters I use a pneumatic drill that is probably three times as fast. Using what you have isn't always bad if you know how to use what you have!

Feel free to discuss, input from the membership is always appreciated.
Bart

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Heading home for a funeral soon so no time to go into more detain but having been a wood patternmaker for 12 years drilling accurately into wood is a lot easier using Brad Point drill bits, not to mention a clean exit.

077914.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice demo Bart. Really glad that you showed the block on the inside of the plywood. I wanted to show a picture of what you are trying to get away from by doing that since I've seen a lot of people punch holes in places inside their airplane and not consider what could potentially happen.

Here is a pic, one with a block and one without a block in birch ply typical of what the engine box structure is made of. If you punch a hole in that without a block and it blasts out on the backside what you have done is create a focal point for vibration and stress. Sort of a "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" kinda deal.....you just created the weak link.

Something simple can lead to problems down the line, great tip Bart!

_DSC0852.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0853.JPG
    _DSC0853.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 355

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Heading home for a funeral soon so no time to go into more detain but having been a wood patternmaker for 12 years drilling accurately into wood is a lot easier using Brad Point drill bits, not to mention a clean exit.

These are good but even more important to use the block on the back and they need to be sharp. If you have those two things they work wonderfully! Same as a forstner bit but they can get a bet spendy for a good quality set.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
One thing I will add when drilling in balsa wood. Mark where the hole needs to be and then use the tip of an exacto to poke very very shallow holes around in that area. Put a drop or two of CA and let it harden without kicker. Make a very small pilot hole and then drill your hole slowly with a sharp bit on high speed. Either that or use a sharpened piece of brass tubing on non-hardened balsa.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
It basically makes its own pilot hole.

We'll classify brad point drill bits in the nice-to-have category, i've got a big set of standard bits (lettered, numbered, and fractional) that I use for all kinds of materials and a Drill Doctor to keep them sharp.

With the brad point bits I'd guess you'll want to make a center mark in the wood but not drill a pilot hole.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Nice work ExtraJohn!!!

Agreed, get the right drill bits for the job. Compared to the money we throw away in bling for our planes, investing in the proper tools isn't much and makes building so much easier and more enjoyable.