• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Video...Drilling holes accurately in wood

This is what I use. Very important to keep your hand away from the gear teeth while turning crank...

Hand Drill.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i had one of those and used it as a kid along with my dad's old cigar box full of dull bits!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Did a quick video to demonstrate how to accurately drill holes in wood with a hand drill.

My Porter Cable cordless drill doesn't have a very high RPM range so when it really matters I use a pneumatic drill that is probably three times as fast. Using what you have isn't always bad if you know how to use what you have!

Feel free to discuss, input from the membership is always appreciated.
Bart
Great video for all the noobs Bart....

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Here is one for the new guys, and takes less time then drilling and pinning the motor box to keep the fire wall in place.

IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0208.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0213.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The fiberglass trick does work, particularly on small planes and glow planes but on larger firewalls its always best to pin or screw. The firewall can still come loose inside the structure if the original glue fails. The FG will however likely give you enough time to notice that you have an issue before your firewall and power plant exit your cowl.

Even with glassing on larger planes, some 9/16" servo screws in CA hardened holes work well and only take minutes:
image006.jpg

N726AC

70cc twin V2
The fiberglass trick does work, particularly on small planes and glow planes but on larger firewalls its always best to pin or screw. The firewall can still come loose inside the structure if the original glue fails. The FG will however likely give you enough time to notice that you have an issue before your firewall and power plant exit your cowl.

Even with glassing on larger planes, some 9/16" servo screws in CA hardened holes work well and only take minutes:View attachment 11906

I've been doing this for years! Works like a charm! ;)

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I use the glassing on all my planes no matter what size. On the Giants., I just use a little heaver glass and wrap one more time. I have never had a firewall, or motor box split. They just break further back at the next weakest point in the fuse. There are many ways to strengthen the firewall and motor box but this is the method I prefer no matter what size plane. I have seen many fire walls ripped Out and the screws and tabs just rip right out of the light ply sides very easy IMG_3648.JPG