• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I didn't do much on the Dalton tonight. Instead, since putting another four flights on the Sukhoi yesterday, I figured I'd do some checking on her. I discovered a loose canister so a replacement coupler was in order.

20160225_191954.jpg

I also decided to pull the plugs and have a looksie. After 64 flights and about 10 gallons, the 170 3dub is breaking in quite nicely. Just a tick on the rich side. So a fresh set of NGK's and a very fine tweak on the ole needles.

20160225_192223.jpg

I figured I might just as well dress up the girl a bit, so a new 50 oz. Taildragger RC fuel tank was in order. The 60 oz. Dubro was just way too much.

20160225_235329.jpg
20160225_235357.jpg

I've been doing some fine tuning on the CG balance. She's always been a tick nose heavy. I want to give IMAC a try this year and this is the plane I want to try with. So getting the balance is really important to me. Losing 10 oz's of fuel won't hurt me a bit and moving the ignition battery further back should put me right where I want to be.

20160225_235503.jpg

So time now to bolt the cowl back in place and give her a few rounds in the air.

Last edited:
Hello Rob, I really like your fuel lines!! That looks awesome!
When I was 15 years of age, I restored a 1971 Porsche, and I took the motor down, bored out the cylinders, changed out all the bearings and seals, placed a racing camshaft, racing carburetor, had the body painted Ferrari Red, and other goodies, anyways, I redid all the fuel lines, oil lines, and spark plug cables with that braided stuff! Wish I had a picture to show you all but it was a long long time ago!!
How did you do that?

pawnshopmike

Staff member
When I was 15 years of age, I restored a 1971 Porsche, and I took the motor down, bored out the cylinders, changed out all the bearings and seals, placed a racing camshaft, racing carburetor, had the body painted Ferrari Red, and other goodies, anyways, I redid all the fuel lines, oil lines, and spark plug cables with that braided stuff! Wish I had a picture to show you all but it was a long long time ago!!
How did you do that?

+1
That install looks badass!

BalsaDust

Got the little enya40 freed up this morning on the super sportster. Took soaking overnight in some old nitro, a couple squirts of Kano Kroil (badass penetrating oil), and some heat from the heat gun. Fresh #8 OS glow plug installed and will get it running Monday morning. Little joker makes more compression then either of my OS 46ax's do.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
How did you do that?
Restoring those old cars are a lot of fun. I remember doing a couple of auto restores back a number of years ago. Ah yeah, love those old muscle cars. The fuel line is actually normal yellow Tygon fuel line with "Snakeskin" or braided wrap from TDRC. I believe that is where it came from??? At any rate, slide the fuel line inside, put your color choice of heat shrink tubing on the ends to keep it from freying. And Wa-laa..... cool looking fuel lines.
Hey Rob,

157 or 170 on this bird? Is there any way you can center the fuel tank on the cg? The closer you can get it, the better :)
That's my 170 classic Mark. Dang that motor runs so good. It's just...always the same. After it has been started for the first time of the day, it will usually restart first flip no choke the rest of the day. I was actually thinking the same thing on the fuel tank. I really liked the alteration to the fuel tank on the big Yak and was thinking of doing the same thing to the Sukhoi. It really would not be too difficult either. I have plenty of room and all I would need to do is build a little shelf over the wing tube like the Yak. The Sukhoi wing tube sits much lower in the fuse than the Yak so I would only need to raise the shelf by an about a half inch or so. Competely do-able.
+1
That install looks badass!
Thanks Mike... It turned out pretty ok.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got the little enya40 freed up this morning on the super sportster. Took soaking overnight in some old nitro, a couple squirts of Kano Kroil (badass penetrating oil), and some heat from the heat gun. Fresh #8 OS glow plug installed and will get it running Monday morning. Little joker makes more compression then either of my OS 46ax's do.

Back in my early glow days TN carburetors and CX series Enyas made me :). Great engines!