• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@Snoopy1 500ozin should be plenty. And MKS servos are a great servo. But......Servo torque values are with a 1" from center measurement. I am going to try a rudder servo tray that will put more output torque of the servo to the rudder itself. I find when using long (3 to 4 inch) rudder pull pull arms on powerful servos it makes the rudder stick more sensitive around center, more likely to strip the inside horn spline if using weaker material arms even some soft aluminum. And loads the electrical system excessively IMO.

Trying this once I get it to the door....Minimal weight penalty because it is mostly CF but the tiller post is machined aluminum and ball raced.

cf rudder tray.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Snoopy1 500ozin should be plenty. And MKS servos are a great servo. But......Servo torque values are with a 1" from center measurement. I am going to try a rudder servo tray that will put more output torque of the servo to the rudder itself. I find when using long (3 to 4 inch) rudder pull pull arms on powerful servos it makes the rudder stick more sensitive around center, more likely to strip the inside horn spline if using weaker material arms even some soft aluminum. And loads the electrical system excessively IMO.

Trying this once I get it to the door....Minimal weight penalty because it is mostly CF but the tiller post is machined aluminum and ball raced.

View attachment 99985
I believe I am going to need a 2 inch arm on the Servo to move the rudder full travel in both directions. And 500 oz will hopefully do it, do not know what to buy if it is not enough. I guess time will tell.

ericrs

70cc twin V2
The 777 on the elevator how well did the depth fit in the stabilizer. Did you have shim it up a little.
I am thinking of buying a 380 for the rudder how long is the arm on the rudder servo.
I did have to shim out the servos on the elevators, but you could get the new 777A they are shorter and would fit without shimming. I have the 2" arm on the 380 on the rudder, but it is in the 1 3/4" hole.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I did have to shim out the servos on the elevators, but you could get the new 777A they are shorter and would fit without shimming. I have the 2" arm on the 380 on the rudder, but it is in the 1 3/4" hole.
I already have all my servos and they all are 777 so will have to buy 2 new 777A and I am thinking of getting 1 - 380 with 2 inch arm now. The cost running up on this plane. But it’s hobby. Thanks for reply it helps.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Been running around the mail box hoping it would turn in to some RC goodies. Just need the CF LG to show up and get the foamy rolling smooth :). Just don't like down time waiting :thumbsdown:. Wastes really good shop time and gets me to thinking too much :lol2:.

As I suspected the wheel pants turned out to be a great match to the tires and plane :). Now that it's November no more rocks in my bag of goodies :big-grin:. Bacon Cheeseburgers from here on out!

1104171259-00.jpg
1104171256-00.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Been running around the mail box hoping it would turn in to some RC goodies. Just need the CF LG to show up and get the foamy rolling smooth :). Just don't like down time waiting :thumbsdown:. Wastes really good shop time and gets me to thinking too much :lol2:.

As I suspected the wheel pants turned out to be a great match to the tires and plane :). Now that it's November no more rocks in my bag of goodies :big-grin:. Bacon Cheeseburgers from here on out!

View attachment 99986 View attachment 99987
That is a nice little plane and looks good are you getting ready for the indoors flying. Must say the the new wheel pants do look better, but I am not a fan of wheel pants on a grass field they are maintenance and do have the ability to make holes in your wings when you make a not so good landing, I have never done that ???????

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok gentleman need some body with some experience with MKS servo horns. I have made up a Servo arm with one of the plastic servo horns that come with the MKS777 servo. I have bolted a heavy duty Fiberglas arm to it as shown in the two pictures. What do you guys think and will the plastic hub in mks hub stand up to the abuse.
B695771E-4FB7-4FD4-969D-AA092B32AF08.jpeg
BEB1E49E-4202-411F-B66E-54CD0527E3F5.jpeg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Fiberglass arm is good but I would not trust plastic to a 30%/35%/40% model.

I learned this the hard way even on a 26%.........Powerful rudder servo stripped the splines on a plastic servo arm and it even had the metal reinforcement band around the spline mold.
0830172143-00.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok gentleman need some body with some experience with MKS servo horns. I have made up a Servo arm with one of the plastic servo horns that come with the MKS777 servo. I have bolted a heavy duty Fiberglas arm to it as shown in the two pictures. What do you guys think and will the plastic hub in mks hub stand up to the abuse.
View attachment 99989 View attachment 99990
Just my opinion for what it is worth. I would not trust the plastic arms to anything larger than 120 sized glow. When I was still wrapped up in all my Saito powered planes, I didn't even use the plastic on those planes. I used the Dubro Heavy Duty arms. And I actually had one of those break on me. So now, I will not trust any plane with anything less than aluminum.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
That is a nice little plane and looks good are you getting ready for the indoors flying. Must say the the new wheel pants do look better, but I am not a fan of wheel pants on a grass field they are maintenance and do have the ability to make holes in your wings when you make a not so good landing, I have never done that ???????

Indoor flying??? If there were an indoor parking lot with a 100 foot ceiling :big-grin:. With me at the sticks I don't think the whole plane would survive much less the pants in an indoor basketball court. Now I do hand launch it and recover it by hand too but I'm at ease in the wide open space! Besides this thing (QQ300)needs some good touch and go action. I have flown smaller foam planes indoors though. It's a hoot :). Gave me sumtin to do after every flight :rolleyes:.