• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That little Yak or baby Yak as you have named it looks good, a lot of nice hardware has been used and all goes together nicely. You are going to get maybe one flight on before the end of the season and then you are going to be looking at all winter dying to fly it again. So now you have finished the plane what are you going to do for the next 5 months.
Oh she's not done yet. But close I would say today. As for flying... we will probably have a dozen or so days between now and spring that could be filled with flying. Maybe more, we will see.
What will I do next? Depends on weather. Definately replace the Behemoth Yak (2) canopy. Remember it got cracked at Huckfest? Damn scared chicken pilot self ejected. Lol. Will also be doing a customer's build on a 35% Velox. Oh and I have the mystery project yet to do. Thinking I may do a mystery build contest. So I have stuff to do. Lol

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Bright and early start this morning. I wanted to get the last of the programming done so I could focus on the cowl. Initial throws were more than I thought.
20171105_075810.jpg 20171105_075849.jpg 20171105_080019.jpg 20171105_080034.jpg 20171105_080046.jpg 20171105_081126.jpg 20171105_081150.jpg
My final aileron throw is 45 degrees both directions. Elevator is 58 up, 54 down. Since this plane weighs all of 19 pounds with 95" of wing, I'm thinking she is gonna do some reeeeeeally slooooow and easy motions. Just the way daddy likes.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
See the problem is this, aluminum bends under pressure. You knew that though right? Soooo....to solve the problem, just don't land. Bwaa haaa haaa.... J/K. I hope the new gear works better than the last. :way_to_go:
The problem all boils down to two words in your first sentence, "aluminum" and "pressure". First off you never know what the Chinese are going to throw in the mix of an alloy. I have a friend that ran a Federal Mogul brake rotor foundry in St. Louis. He spent a lot of time in China at other Federal Mogul plants there. He told me you never knew what the Chinese were going to throw in the furnace. It could be anything. I'm sure they make their aluminum the same way.
The second part is pressure. This elephant weighs over 30 pounds!

Overloaded Chinese aluminum. It was designed to fail.;)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The problem all boils down to two words in your first sentence, "aluminum" and "pressure". First off you never know what the Chinese are going to throw in the mix of an alloy. I have a friend that ran a Federal Mogul brake rotor foundry in St. Louis. He spent a lot of time in China at other Federal Mogul plants there. He told me you never knew what the Chinese were going to throw in the furnace. It could be anything. I'm sure they make their aluminum the same way.
The second part is pressure. This elephant weighs over 30 pounds!

Overloaded Chinese aluminum. It was designed to fail.;)

You have no idea how right you are spent quite some time in China doing steel industry work. I can now talk about as I am retired. They are the worst in world for cheating on chemistry mixes in the world and specification cheating. And even when they want to do correctly they still get it screwed up. During the seventies it was just crazy with time they are improving but still cannot make the high quality automotive steels.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I managed to time it just right between rain showers today. Got the initial thrust test done and not at all surprised. That little 62 is a running quite nicely. Right at 37 pounds of static pull, (Thrust). That should take this bird over the top huh? I also took a few photos before bringing it back in to finish it up. I didn't have the cowl on yet, so I will still get some final completed photos.
20171105_105842.jpg 20171105_105854.jpg 20171105_105911.jpg 20171105_105926.jpg
I'm not sure yet if I am going to install a pilot bust or not. I would like to have one in there, but I don't want to add the extra weight. So, I guess we'll see later down the line. I also forgot about one other thing I needed to complete before the cowl. The plane did not come with a belly vent. I would have thought it would have had one, but the original owner says he didn't have one. Oh well, I will build one myself. Not like I haven't done this before right?
20171105_121657.jpg 20171105_121747.jpg 20171105_121804.jpg 20171105_125229.jpg 20171105_125249.jpg 20171105_131523.jpg 20171105_131538.jpg
I figured those extra rebuild parts from the first Behemoth Yak (1) would come in handy. I used them to build the belly vent on the Baby Yak. Once I get the belly finished up and covered, I will get finally get to the cowl. Hopefully today, but running out of steam pretty quick. LOL.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
0475052e7fd1b8f10e34f9ba62c3a3e5.jpg

Yikes!! A little warm. I think the internal resistance is a little high on that cell!!
Time to retire... been good for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That isn't even body temp. I have no clue, but I am curious what is considered high when charging? I would think they would have to get well over 100 to start having issues. I am also guessing outside air temps would play into this in a big way.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That isn't even body temp. I have no clue, but I am curious what is considered high when charging? I would think they would have to get well over 100 to start having issues. I am also guessing outside air temps would play into this in a big way.
I too am confused. I had always been told and had learned that while charging any battery, it is normal for them to warm a little bit. Due to the electrons being moved around and excited, they will warm a little bit. At least all of my batteries, new or old have done this before. Though I will agree, too much heat is an indication of a possible and impending problem. Perhaps I have not been properly informed or I don't know. It would be nice to know the actual fact of the mystery behind the Heat.