• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Okay so I have some sort of results from my primitive testing. I installed a new ignition cap and carb. left the extreme flight flowmaster filter in the tank. so that didnt change. I choked the engine, flipped and flipped and flipped (did I say flipped??). No fuel getting picked into the line at all. SO I plugged the vent line with my finger, and blew through the filler line, zero sign of fuel trying to get through to the carb - I then let go with my finger to depressurize... okay. I took the old fortitude clunk and put it in the tank. within five flips I saw fuel working its way in. SO there you have it. For some reason this DLE35 does not like to suck fuel through that Flowmaster clunk. Blowing through the flowmaster and the fourtitude - fourtitude did indeed have less resistance. I tuned the plane with the cowl off, started putting the cowl on and it started to rain.... sigh. But at least I figured something out!!! I am kind of surprised there are very few reports of this happening to other folks.

I use Fortitude style clunks in all my tanks. Never an issue. Luckily the local hardware store stocks them at $2.00 bucks a pop. Apparently they use them in chainsaws or something.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So the 106cs became total "BEAST" last night. The MTW 75's arrived and just couldn't wait to get them installed. All I can say is, "Wow"! Sort of like waiting for the Sun to come out of eclipse. Night and day difference. Throttle response is so good now that I swapped out the 5665 for a 7954. No, don't need the torque, but the dub 106 loves rapid throttle action. I may have to program negative throttle curve because it now comes on like a 157 hanging off the front of that 107" Pilot Edge. Going to do a couple of test flights Sunday, but I believe the Edge is finally ready for Tri-Cities.
:banana-dance:
20170817_053355.jpg 20170817_053514.jpg

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I had no idea those were commonly found!!! Cool! I would love to find them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I am curious. What did you make the shim out of and how did you go about doing it? I would really like to know. That is some really cool stuff right there.
The Blazing Star mount I bought from Extreme Flight for the 120 came with two Delrin spacers in case you needed a little extra length. According to their site one should be 3mm and one 2mm. Mine were both the same at 2mm I believe.

To make them I secured then to a piece of flat wood with the edge that would end up being the thin side right at the edge of the wood. The first one that I did a few weeks ago for down thrust I used two sided tape for that, but on the one I made this week I used a few small drops of medium CA. I then used a block and sandpaper and carefully sanded them to them to where one side was getting pretty thin, and the opposite side was barely touched. If your carefully it's not that hard to get a nice even angle. Since the mount is not square I needed to be sure I had it turned so the correct edge would get sanded thin.

You can buy the spacers separately for the DA120 or DA60.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The Blazing Star mount I bought from Extreme Flight for the 120 came with two Delrin spacers in case you needed a little extra length. According to their site one should be 3mm and one 2mm. Mine were both the same at 2mm I believe.

To make them I secured then to a piece of flat wood with the edge that would end up being the thin side right at the edge of the wood. The first one that I did a few weeks ago for down thrust I used two sided tape for that, but on the one I made this week I used a few small drops of medium CA. I then used a block and sandpaper and carefully sanded them to them to where one side was getting pretty thin, and the opposite side was barely touched. If your carefully it's not that hard to get a nice even angle. Since the mount is not square I needed to be sure I had it turned so the correct edge would get sanded thin.

You can buy the spacers separately for the DA120 or DA60.
Tenacity pays off again. Nicely done.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_1751.JPG
Well Got started on painting the ViperST couwl. Very hesitant because I have limited amount of paint and if it fails will have buy new paint and have it sent to Pensilvania and drive 16 hours to get it. Well it is primed and will have to fix quite a few pin holes and then prime the cowls again.