• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That little plane scared the crap out of him. But you know he has not felt this alive for a long time. It is something about small war birds that just do that to you. All I can say when reading your post I was smiling and grinning all the way through it remembering days of a while back. Thanks for that.
I wouldn't say scared me. I would say more like... Unexpected pleasure. lol. It was so fun, I can't tell you. I was giggling the whole time I was out flying. A couple of intense moments made it all worth the effort. I don't know if it is the fact that it is so small.... but just flying a warbird is...well, there is just so much pleasure in it. I am glad you enjoyed the post. I sure had fun sharing my adventure.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
That little plane scared the crap out of him. But you know he has not felt this alive for a long time. It is something about small war birds that just do that to you. All I can say when reading your post I was smiling and grinning all the way through it remembering days of a while back. Thanks for that.

Yup. Warbirds aren’t for the faint of heart. I always cringe when a customer comes into the shop to buy their first R/C plane and they want a warbird.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My Edge 540 with a DA120 came with a 29x9 prop on it and I thought nothing of it. An Extreme Flight employee wandered over to take a look and said a 27x11 prop would wake the engine up. Not more than an hour later another pilot offered me one to try. The Extreme flight employee was right, I bought the prop as soon as I landed my first flight with it. Wow, much better thrust. I was tossing the plane around like a foamie.
Then I was told a 27x12th is even better.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My Edge 540 with a DA120 came with a 29x9 prop on it and I thought nothing of it. An Extreme Flight employee wandered over to take a look and said a 27x11 prop would wake the engine up. Not more than an hour later another pilot offered me one to try. The Extreme flight employee was right, I bought the prop as soon as I landed my first flight with it. Wow, much better thrust. I was tossing the plane around like a foamie.
It is interesting that you should post this. I have heard many people claim the same statement. I pretty much devote all my prop purchases from Northwest RC and trust Tim implicitly. I can pretty much count on his input as being right on the money. The dude does a lot of flying and he knows what works and what doesn't. He has mentioned the 27x11 is a great prop for most all 120cc class engines. I truthfully have just not gotten around to taking more money out of my wallet. LOL. But what I do hesitate with is I have no 120cc class engines. But my 106cs rips the snot out of a 29x9 Falcon. Actually it is no secret, as good as my sons DLE 120 is now running, it is still a bit anemic compared to the 106. I am curious if the 106 would benefit more from the 27x11 or from the 27x12TH. Anyone have any input on this? I would really like to have more thrust and less speed. When doing 3d maneuvers, I find my Pilot Edge will torque roll something fierce. The only way I would be able to keep it "locked" in on torque rolls would be to have the capability of deflecting the ailerons above what I already have. Unless, I could get a prop that has far more thrust factor without loading the engine too much. I'm glad you posted this. I have needed to make some adjustments to my airframes for some time. It seems they all need something. LOL. Winter is coming and little breaks in between build projects is going to be devoted to putting a little finesse on these birds. Maybe starting with a new prop for the 106.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
On the advice of a couple people I trust I'm running a 28 x 9 1/2 Falcon carbon fiber my DA120. It seems to be a good combination. A friend of mine had a Falcon 29 x 9 on his DA120 and it has horribly loud. Great for low and slow 3D, but ear splitting when wide open.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I would love to know more about this. I have been running the 29x9 on my DA 120s for a long time now and have not really had any issues, but what I would like to know is what is meant by "wake the engine up" as in exactly what characteristics come to life with that prop? With the 29x9s my planes will shoot straight up from vertical, hover easily at a small amount of throttle, and do most anything I am capable of doing.

When you state thrust are you referring to thrust for 3D flying or just overall flying? Is the air density different where the guys are using the 27x11? I am Virginia air and it has been humidity heavy this year. I have to see if I have a 27x11 around my shop, but I would like to know more. I know I have a 27x10 which is probably way too small and I have a Vess 28B. I would buy a 27x11 to try if I knew for sure my results would be all that great.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm no expert but it the 27x12 seemed to enhance everything. A little faster, little more pull, I used a 28x10 on my 3W106 and thought it was fine.
I was surprised how slow flybys are with the 540, I assumed much faster than my retired yak but not so much. It seemed flybys were faster with the 27x12.
A club member absolutely wrings the snot out of his his da120 powered plane, doing things only 1000s and 1000s of hours of sim time and airtime can produce and he uses the metzlik 27x12th. He sold me the Falcon 27x12 yesterday.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I too would like more input. I am of the same thought process. My 106 has a scant 3 or 4 gallons through it. If it keeps waking up like the beast 157, there isn't a prop on this planet that would be enough for it. Ok, a bit of an exaggeration there. Lol. But I too would buy a 27x11 or 12 if I knew for certain it would not be money wasted.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little cooler and a little breezier than the last little bit. Heavy storm clouds looming. But not to worry. I've got the "Mighty Dub" to pull me through. My son and I put in a couple of flights each today. We got a little spooked by the skies so we packed it in. Wouldn't you know it, soon as we cleaned up and packed up, the skies started clearing. It's all good though. Got a "Dub" single to mount this afternoon.

Still a good day of flying. Even the backwards hovering trick. Lol.

43636.jpeg 43637.jpeg 43641.jpeg 43638.jpeg 43639.jpeg 43640.jpeg 43642.jpeg

Last edited: